Monday, June 27, 2011

UFOs

If asked, what would be your definition of a UFO.... no, I'm not referring to the unidentified flying object here but a term that rug hookers often use to describe their 'un-finished objects'. 

Do you consider a UFO as anything that is unfinished even if you are working on more than one project at a time?  Well my definition of a UFO is a rug that I haven't picked up in months or years.  Such is the case with this unfinished geometric.  I wanted it to look old and like a granny square project.
I must have started that rug 7 or 8 years ago and haven't picked it up to hook in probably a year or so.  And when I did pull a few loops on it, just wasn't in the mood so put it back.  I originally started it because I was between rugs and didn't know what project I wanted to work on next.  Plus the fact that I was doing rug hooking demonstrations for a local historical society so thought this would be a project to take to work on which wouldn't require a lot of thought and could use up some of my bazillions of worms.  Another thought was that if anyone wanted to try their hand at hooking it would be something they could just grab any color as well.

I don't really consider this Sincerely Jane project a UFO because I still work on it in spurts and the deadline to finish isn't until next April anyway.  So there is really time to play with my current rug, which is my Frost Sheep rug.  Well, that is when I have time to hook.
Lately I have been so busy with orders that it seems I'm hardly even a 10 minute hooker.  But then the extra cash keeps subsidizing my wool addiction as well as reducing the guilt for the cost of the rug camps I attend.

I do have another UFO but it is one that I purchased already started on e-bay a few years ago.  And honestly haven't pulled up one loop on that one at all since it is so big.  It seemed like a good idea at the time to buy it but every once in a while I'll pull it out, look at it, roll it back up and shove it back under the shelf.   But that is a story for another day and I'll take a picture and tell you more about that one.

1 comment:

  1. Saundra ~
    You are one busy lady! I don't have any hooked UFO's (though I have a couple rugs that need binding!), but cross stitch is another story! I hadn't cross stitched in almost 20 years, and when I pulled the stuff down from the attic, I was amazed at the number of samplers that were not done! I just don't have time to work and keep up with the yard and hook and punch and cross stitch. Sure wish I did!
    Pug hugs :)
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and I always welcome comments.