Tuesday, August 14, 2012

A Ducky Hookin' Situation

  Yes, I'm still in love with this antique rug which was believed to be hooked between 1875 and 1925 in Canada.  However, I did want to take a little creative license with the nest by hooking in different directions with different values and colors.  The original was what I loved but the hooker back then didn't have the wool options we have today and the very dark in the nest and the very dark in the wing/feather shape on the ducks is a little harsh considering the softness and subtle colors of the leaves and eggs.

Not knowing which way I wanted to hook my wings ended up trying two different wools.  The one on the right is using the honeycomb wool (from Rebecca Erb many moons ago) and the one on the left is a plaid texture that I had in my stash from who knows where.
So for now I'm just going to live with both ways, look at each often and think about it as I continue to hook the leaves and background.  But as a review, this is what the original rug looked like.
I have put a spot on this blog for you to choose an option for the duck wing of choice.

    
   NOTE:  Anyone who has a "NOREPLY-comment" blogger address cannot post messages to appear on my blog.  In the beginning they could but then I started receiving spam from a 'no reply' so some one's address had been hijacked.  Since I couldn't see who that address belonged to, I placed the undesirable spam in my blocked senders list.  Which now means that anyone with a 'noreply' is unable make posts on the blog; it may go thru the motions but will not appear there.    Sorry, but guess you will need to not be anonymous or choose the no reply to have your comment show up on the blog.


And, as always, thank you for visiting my blog and commenting, if it was able to appear here.  Comments are always welcome.

Saundra

4 comments:

  1. Oh, geez. You know me. I have such a hard time deciding on color! Your rug is looking mahvelous.
    Hugs :)
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm like Lauren~hard to decide. denise

    ReplyDelete
  3. Permission from Musee des Maitres et Artisans du Quebec, Montreal is required.. including the PROVENANCE.. ie Charlevoix, Quebec.
    It is recognizable no matter what creative adaptation is done. Making patterns of this for sale would be problematic...
    It is sad to see a rug taken... no matter how loved... without accurately honouring the place of origin, maker and owner..
    Lin Watson
    MOntreal, Quebec

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Saundra, Wow your work is fantastic!Cheri

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and I always welcome comments.