Tuesday, January 20, 2015

The Big Chill is Over

Thank gawd about 4:50 today the heat was turned on.  At one point today there was only 1 degree difference between the outside temperature and the inside temperature.  And that was in the office which probably had a little overflow from the living room space heaters I had on.

I'll spare you all the drama (for me) during the last 4 days but when the fire alarms went off shortly after the serviceman turned on the heat I was about ready to leave the house for fear of an explosion.  Ben was let outside but he stood looking at me as I'm sure he was concerned for my safety.  The HVAC guy told me there was no problem, that the brand new furnace was burning off the oil that was on the equipment at 'fire up'.  Thankfully that dreadful sound stopped but in no record time as far as my ears were concerned.

Right now at 6:05 p.m. the inside temperature is 60 degrees and I feel like I'm in Florida.  Guess after 4 days of the big chill my body 'sorta' began to adjust to the new (temporary) norm.  Must say it will be great to wash my hair tomorrow as it has not been washed since last Friday ~ that night in the wee hours of the morning is when the heat stopped.  No way I wanted to have a wet head of hair with bone chilling temperatures in the house.

So $2,595 less savings now I'm ready to 'chill' emotionally and get back to my wool.  Just think of all the wool I could have bought with that money.  Anyway..........

The Cherries and Candy Stripe antique adaptation is almost completely bound and after another steaming tomorrow will be on my harvest table.
This is the back side and as you can see there is only a bit more to stitch down on the binding. 
And think I'll take a night off from hooking anything new tonight, as I'm too emotionally spent after these last 4 days.

Have a great evening everyone and hope you manage to stay warm.

Saundra

13 comments:

  1. I am so happy you have heat! I don't know how you stayed in the house. I don't do cold well at all.
    I am I love with your rug!!! Each rug you hook gets better and better.
    Warm hugs :)
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my, how I love that rug. It came out fabulous. Glad your heating problems are in the past even though it hurt the pocket book. I agree, that sure would of bought lots of wool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your rug! That red really speaks to me. Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear your ordeal is over. That rug is one of my all time favorites...it's just wonderful!
    Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how it came out, that is such a beautiful piece and the way you did the back is a nice way to finish it.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I'm so happy you have heat again! I'm celebrating for you with a nice glass of Apothic Red ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Saundra, I'm so glad that your heat has been turned on and your'e now warming up.
    I totally understand living with no heat as it was not very long ago when I had to wear a wool hat and gloves to bed just to keep my head warm, it was so cold.

    I know the big expense is not fun but at least now you have a brand new furnace and hopefully will last you for a long time.

    Your candy stripe runner looks fantastic and will add warmth to your table. Now you can get back to normal and enjoy some hooking after a wee rest.

    I hope that you sleep well tonight.
    Hugs.
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have been so cold so I can not fathom being with out heat for 4 days I think I would have just stayed in bed under the electric blanket until it was fixed.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to hear you have your heat back on!!
    Your rug is beautiful!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't believe you stayed put for the entire duration of your power outage! We lost power for about 9 hours a couple months ago and I spent the day at my daughter's house cuz I couldn't take it! Whew! Your new rug looks authentically old Saundra - it's just wonderful! Can't wait to see your next project...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous Rug !!
    So glad you are back in the "warm zone".
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent! That took quite a while for the heater to get into the picture, but I'm glad that it's over. You really can't state enough how much of a lifesaver those things can be at certain moments in our days. That heater is indeed a good save. Thanks for sharing!

    Jodi Bennett @ Marsh Heating

    ReplyDelete
  13. Getting the heater fixed can be really expensive, but it is oftentimes a necessary expense. Anyway, it’s nice to know that there were no danger at your house at all, although it wouldn’t hurt to be alert at times. Take care!


    Brett Rogers @ Flame Furnace

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and I always welcome comments.