Friday, April 24, 2015

Let's Marbelize Wool

While reading Acorn Hollow's blog with her thrift store wool purchase, decided it was time for me to marbleize some wool.  It has been a while since I did that and thought it might be fun for new followers to learn as an alternative to buying dyes.

No dyes are necessary for this type of dying and you can end up with some varying wool colors which changes flat solid color to something different and 'marbelized' beauty. 

Karen Kahle published a little book several years ago called Marbelized Wool and you can purchase it by clicking on that link.   
Marbleized Wool by Karen Kahle
You will need a pot of course, some clothing detergent without bleach and Jet Dry is always good because it helps the wool to absorb more liquid quickly.  I put about 1 teaspoon Jet Dry and approx. 2 tablespoons of laundry liquid.  Jet dry isn't necessary but I had it so using it.
Each roll uses 3 colors, Karen suggests 1/4 yard pieces measuring 18 x 30.  But since my solid colors are from clothing the size might vary but used what I had and made do.
 
For the first roll of colors chosen was a golden brown (at the very bottom), light peach, and navy blue on the top.  Actually was short on that color navy so added a piece of another blue.
My second choice of 3 colors was a brighter blue, the same light peach wool and olive drab slacks.  Again I filled in space with pieces from the very bottom of the slacks. 
Now to roll lengthwise and you don't need to be sure to have everything smooth because the wrinkles will just add interest.
Once the wool sandwich is rolled you twist the ends in opposite directions and secure it at the ends.
That next roll I decided to secure at the one end to make the twisting a littler easier and better to control. 
 Here they are rolled, wrapped and tied...both rolls of wool sandwich.
Before I put it on the burner thought I'd let it soak first since the wool was rolled dry. 
Karen recommends 1/2 to 2/3 of the wool roll is covered but I've a little more liquid in my pot.  Now it is time to put on the burner and let it simmer. 

This pot simmered slowly and I did use those huge tweezer things to push and prod easily to release dye from each of the rolls. 

It was easy to watch the color change color in the pot and after the wool simmered for about half an hour I lifted the outside wool to see how the color was coming on the middle peach wool.  Once I was happy with what I saw it was time to pour 1/2 cup of white vinegar in the pot to fix the color.  I let it simmer maybe another 10 minutes, let it cool while I went to wine tasting.  When I came home I rinsed the wool and put the wool in the spin cycle of the washer to really get the water out.

Tomorrow you will see the results of the SANDWICH of 3 wools which make a great marbleized wool.   Stay tuned, and come back. 

Oh, and please be kind to one another.

Saundra

8 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see the results. I have never attempted to dye wool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have done this a long time ago so glad you posted this. can you tell us how you chose your color or was it random.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am really interested in seeing the results. Thanks for all the great info.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to see what the wool looks like, this looks easy enough to attempt !

    ReplyDelete
  5. It has been a while since I did this too. I am looking forward to doing this and seeing your colors tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ACK! You've left us with a cliffhanger finish! Hurry, hurry! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Saundra, I was so darn busy these last few days I totally missed this post. I'm glad that you mentioned about this post in today's post.

    I've was reading about this technique last night in one of the Hooking magazine when i was looking for an article on how to hook glass but it was getting past my bed time and I didn't find it, lol...

    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yikes...the tension is mounting can't wait to see the results. Thank you so much for posting and description is wonderful. Can't wait.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and I always welcome comments.