Friday, December 9, 2016

#9 Cut Star Tutorial

A follower asked me to demonstrate a star technique Kris Miller teaches in her classes.  It is impressive to hear Kris say she can take a #9 cut strip of wool and hook a beautifully perfect star.  So here ya go.

First I drew the 5 points and have the wool strip and hook to give an indication for size.
Beginning in the very center I start with the tail up.
Next I move to one of the point ends and pull up a loop, turning my hook so it is straight and pointing in the proper direction.
Here's a photo at a different angle so you can see the loop and end in center.
Turning my frame I position my hand and hook to pull up two more loops...now there are three star points hooked and two more loops to pull.
Below you can see the last two loops are pulled and the tail is pulled up in the center in the same hole as the first tail.
The ends are then trimmed off and the star points are manipulated into place with the hook end as well as with your fingers.  Make sure you hook around the star immediately with your background wool to hold the position of the star.
Here's another view of the finished star but the photo above is better.
This is a very nice way to make crisp clean stars.  You can use this same technique in smaller cuts and it will just make a smaller star.  But like I said in the first paragraph....it is quite impressive when Kris tells you that she can use a #9 cut and make a beautiful crisp star.

Have a magnificant evening everyone and stay warm.  

Saundra

15 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tut. I hope I can remember this when the time comes to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Saundra,
    Your eyes must be getting better as you did that perfectly!! Great tutorial!! Kris would be proud!!! Thanks for sharing!!
    Enjoy your day!
    Heart Hugs~
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tutorial on making a crisp star. Wow, you did that with a #9 and it looks great. Kris taught you well.
    Hugs,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice tutorial, I am horrible at doing small areas and items, usually turn into blobs.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tip,,, thank you very much,,, will try that,,,,,

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for posting, great tutorial! Now I will have perfect stars!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for showing that I have never seen it done like that before
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Saundra! I wanna try this - you make it look so easy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brilliant!
    Thanks for sharing, Saundra.
    Rose

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and I always welcome comments.