Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Confessions of a Hooker and Quilter

Recently a dedicated follower and blogger friend (Carolyn) recently shared a confession to me.  As I could so relate to the confession asked permission to use it on my blog.  She gave permission and am sure many of you will see yourselves in this humorous confession.  These are her exact words at the time of the email and she just sent me pictures today after pulling out her treasures....enjoy:  

"Guess it's time, I have a confession to my favorite rug hooker....so here goes.  When I was a quilter for many years I rarely started a second quilt prior to finishing one.  Yes, once I took it to be quilted I would often make a miniature or a table topper, but never start another major project until the quilted quilt had its binding finished. 

Rug hooking!  This is a confession I am not proud of.  First, let me say I began with the same start and finish hooking attitude I had a quilter.  Then I started placing the finished rug (totally hooked) into my binding basket.  Thankfully, most of them are small to medium rugs.  If I started binding today with the same serious dedication I had as a quilter I might finish them before the new year starts.  The real confession is the truly bad part ....I have six rugs started.  Yep! 6.  Time for confession.

***The smallest one "Home Sweet Home" only needs one bird hooked plus some of the remaining background can be hooked on that top left corner.  Not sure why I stopped on that one. 
 ***Hungry Rabbit has dealt me a bit of misery.  Hooking that Rabbit has had more reverse hooking than anything.  It's actually on my list for today.  That body and a bit of the background is all that remains. 
***Settlers Cabin is almost hooked.  I have started and stopped on it way too many times.  Not any problem with it I just wanted to hook something besides all those leaves and flowers.  Could possibly finish it in a couple of hours or less.  Yes, I would rather finish it than Hungry Rabbit. 
***Turkey Topper by Sally Kallin was started September 2015 at rug camp.  I should have never started one that large.  The pumpkins were hooked at camp.  I have worked on those leaves a bit of the background.  I love it on the floor color planning, but placing it on the frame causes me to just stare at it like an intruder.  
***Pumpkin Hollow is almost finished.  I have hooked other cabins, but for some reason those windows and that door have dealt me misery. I still need some of the background finished and that stinking little moon.
***Olde Flag was purchased at the 2015 camp.  One day recently I wanted something mindless to hook so tackled it.  The second day I sat down to hook on it my conscience must have been bother me so I removed it and popped Pumpkin Hollow back on the frame. 
So today my attitude is...finish something before this day is over.  Will probably be Home Sweet Home and possibly Settlers Cabin.  From there ....Pumpkin Hollow, Olde Flag, Hungry Rabbit and eventually Turkey Topper.

Oh My Stars!  It just occurred to me I have Dog, a WF pattern,  to be finished before Christmas and yes, it has been started too.  I can only hook on it when hubby is at work since it is his Christmas gift.  So count them ....all seven not six!  
What in the world am I doing sitting here with this computer in my lap when I should be sitting across the room hooking and binding nonstop?  If I ever get to the end of this silly list I have lots more to hook...One At A Time." ...as told by Carolyn.

So all you hookers and quilters out there, how many UFT's (Un-Finished Treasures, as I prefer to call them) do you have rolled up and hidden under your bed, in a closet or in a chest?  

Would love to read your comments (er, confessions...) as I'm sure that Carolyn will enjoy reading them too.  Hope you enjoyed the blog and think Carolyn is motivated now to finish her projects and will provide photos when they are finished.  

Saundra

14 comments:

  1. don't feel bad I have 2 pieces right now that are small but half done.
    I went to a rug camp many years ago when I first started to hook and there was a woman there that had started a very large fine shaded rug she had bought all the wool she needed. then she tells us she has never finished a rug in her life. She had hooked for years!
    finish what you want to and get rid of the rest.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only have one UFT started at Ali Strebel's several years ago. Now cross stitch UFTs. That's another story. I have a few from 25+ years ago. Several applique UFTs also. Oh, and punch needle. AND....I only have one more rug to bind and I am caught up. Hallelujah!!! But I have nothing on my frame :(
    Great post!!! Kudos to Carolyn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Somehow I like binding my quilts, but find doing the rugs not nearly as easy.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! Don't let those UFT's make you feel guilty. I have several hobbies, i.e. Therapy activities and several unfinished projects for each. There are two quilts, several wool appliqué, three rugs, many pieces of jewelry, and a few weeks ago I dug out the bunch of mohair bears I had cut out at least a year ago and finished them. Then there is the collection of batiking tools and printing blocks that are waiting for me to get around to using them. Sometimes I think I like the possibility better than the finished product. 😉

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes,,its true! I have a few unfinished, too,,,, started needle punch last summer , too, so another hobby to go with rug hooking,,, I have a few small projects u finished, so not too bad!!
    Started a big , long runner last winter and plan on just hooking it in between the smaller ones,,, so its a winter project for this winter, too,, and am still very keen!!
    Your rugs, carolyn, are great!! Its hard to finish when so many more dancjng jn ur head,,, I know,,, I know,,

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is nice to know I am in good company.
    I have 3 small / medium rugs in hooking process
    5 quilts/wall hangings all pieced and now ready for quilting
    1 embroidery piece maybe 10 % completed
    1 cross stitch piece maybe 5 % completed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. it's because we as women are such creative forces...we just want to keep creating, not stopping! {{{ok, this is what I like to tell myself after looking into one of my UFO closets}}} {yes, I said one closet.} Help, I'm creating and I can't stop. anyone out there need to go to UFO Anonymous with me? I'll drive, but first we have to stop at Micheal's, then just run into Joann's.....

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks for sharing Carolyn's confessions...my UFT are too numerous to name, mostly quilts in various stages...only one or tow rugs...nothing on my frame right now, but I have plenty of patterns ready to go once time allows...Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So many great comments , I have too many UFT 's too ! My goal is to finish them before I croak ! HA ! My poor kids will say why did she buy all this stuff & what was she planning to do with all that junk !
    I said the same while going thru all my Mothers things recently ....

    ReplyDelete
  10. i started as everyone else did, hooking a rug and binding it before I began another. Then I began hooking a rug that was just not fun. I was 3/4 of the way done but I all I could think about was "my next rug". Needless to say I finally pulled it off the frame and hooked my next rug. I have completed that next rug and bound it. Will I put the UFO back on the frame? Time will tell.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Made me smile!
    I think I've been a great starter, but not completer many times, I still am!
    I like the large cabin one best, it seems old fashioned to me!
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That rug is Settlers Cabin by Maggie Bonanomi

      Delete
  12. Lol. I have so many unfinished works I couldn't even begin to count.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a great post that we can all identify with! Right now I'm not doing too bad - I only have two unfinished rugs, plus two more that only need whipping on the edges. It hasn't always been that way though!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and I always welcome comments.