Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Mini Vintage Rug Show

Am holding off showing additional progress on Magdalena Goat so thought I'd entertain you with a few old rugs.  So far this evening it seems I'm on the "Winter Blues" theme.  Below is a rug with two horses and hearts said to be late 19th century from Pennsylvania.  Hit and miss background and wonderful blotchy horses.
Below is a stitchery, not hooked but worth mentioning.  It was hooked by Polly Bedford 'in the twelfth year of her age in 1991.  Handiwork was proper back then, when I went to school in the 'olden days' 😏, we were taught how to sew and cook.  Don't think many 12 year old girls today even know how to sew on a button.
The rug below is a simplistic design but I like it.  It was documented as being hooked around 1890.
Don't have a date for the Blue Bowl of flowers below.  Interesting is the cobalt blue base with lighter blue above.  Was this planned or did she use what she had and placed the colors strategically?
The blue bunny rug below was dated 1900 and dimensions of the rug were 30 x 54.
Below is a Cat with blue stars.  I wonder what those figure 8 motifs are.  There must be some meaning because the same shape appeared in the recent rug I hooked (Primitive Horse).  The rug below was dated at 1900 also.
This rug below I've drawn for Polly Minick to hook so have the paper pattern to use for myself.  One day I'd like to hook it as well.  Too many grandiose desires and so little time.
Last but DEFINITELY not least, is this dog design.  Don't know if the initials "BUS" is of the hooker or the dog's name.  But I've already sold two patterns even before hooking it myself so this is what will be on my frame next.  I have named it "SPIKE" because of the collar and sounds like a proud name for a dog.  
Interesting side note on the above rug is that Cammie Bruce said she placed a bid for it at the on-line auction house and didn't get back home to do a final bid before it was sold.

Happy hooking.

Saundra

10 comments:

  1. So wonderful...and I adore Polly Bedford's piece!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful rugs and I do like the dog piece.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. wonderful I have been on pintrest and bumped into some of these rugs. I love the cat one I like less background.
    cathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great mats,,,
    Love the pot of flowers,, and all of them,, blues,,, are lovely!
    Thanks for sharing,,,,

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the old blue colors in each rug . Polly's hand work is so pretty . My Mother tried to get me to cross stitch a printed sampler when I was about 8 years old ....I finally finished it when I was 12 . I hope to teach my Grand daughters how to sew on a button !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that Spike has a resemblance to the Birthday Lion. Can’t decide if I like the cats or the basket rug best.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Saundra,
    I just LOVE this rug show!!! I think I love each one of them and would love to hook or punch each one!!! My favorite has to be the two cats with the hearts, but SPIKE really pulls at my heart, too!!
    Looking forward to seeing your rug progress soon!!!
    Take care and hope you are staying warm!!!
    Heart Hugs~
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great inspiration! I'm in awe that a 12 year old stitched that piece so beautifully! I think my favorite rug here has to be the two cats with heart and flowers... so sweet!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and I always welcome comments.