When first seeing this rug it appeared to me it was a wild stallion running free and probably looking for his harem. No dimensions were provided but was said to be circa 1920.
The last time I did a show of old rugs there were two George Washington rugs. Janice commented she'd never seen even one before and now was looking at two. Well, here's your third, and it even has his apple tree. No date or dimensions provided.
A masted sailing ship rug 25 x 38 but no date. Still listed for sale.
The rug below, pot of posies, is also still up for auction. No other information was provided.
The rug below Circa 1930, I named Native American Spirit. That is how I felt about the rug with the spirit of the first residents living on in the land (38 x 41). One day I'd like to hook a rug depicting Delaware Indians ~ the Lenape, the Nanticoke and Moors. You can read about the Delaware Indigenous people HERE. I may be living on the land they inhabited since I am surrounded by a stream and the Nanticoke River is just maybe 5 minutes away from me.
Another primitive floral and easy for a beginner to hook. It measures 24 x 37, no date.
I named the rug below 'runaway sled' and thought it was a hoot with the dog chasing it. Was the dog chasing it to get the horse to stop or perhaps it isn't a runaway. Maybe the round black spot at the back is the head of a person and the dog wants a ride. Either way thought it was a cute rug.
In June I found this Nancy Gertrude Scott rug for sale. It appears to be the main house, barn and houses for the farm help perhaps. Given a date of circa 1985 and dimensions of 31 x 54.
And recently Nancy Kilrain found this NGS rug at an outside antique show and shared it with me. I suggested it would be a great blog post for her but she hasn't done that so I'll share it. If you recall, NGS was the daughter of Barbara E. Merry.
That's it for now from rainy windy nor'easter Delaware. During the night I heard what sounded like a tree falling. This morning when looking out all my windows didn't see any in my view but perhaps it was further into the woods.
Another primitive floral and easy for a beginner to hook. It measures 24 x 37, no date.
I named the rug below 'runaway sled' and thought it was a hoot with the dog chasing it. Was the dog chasing it to get the horse to stop or perhaps it isn't a runaway. Maybe the round black spot at the back is the head of a person and the dog wants a ride. Either way thought it was a cute rug.
In June I found this Nancy Gertrude Scott rug for sale. It appears to be the main house, barn and houses for the farm help perhaps. Given a date of circa 1985 and dimensions of 31 x 54.
And recently Nancy Kilrain found this NGS rug at an outside antique show and shared it with me. I suggested it would be a great blog post for her but she hasn't done that so I'll share it. If you recall, NGS was the daughter of Barbara E. Merry.
That's it for now from rainy windy nor'easter Delaware. During the night I heard what sounded like a tree falling. This morning when looking out all my windows didn't see any in my view but perhaps it was further into the woods.
Happy 'keep your hands and mind busy' day.
Saundra
Runaway Sled is a cute one. My imagination has the dog running after that ginormous squirrel in the twiggy tree. I love the horse in the George Washington. Something about that perky tail .
ReplyDeleteYou are a never-ending source of fun rugs, Mummy D. The hooker certainly caught the movement of the horse in that first rug and I, too, loved the huge squirrel in the sled rug. What a hoot. But I think my favorite is the ship rug. For some reason, I have a soft spot for ships/nautical...I suppose kind of like you do for horses (although I didn't have a ship when I was younger. ;-) ) I hope you - and others in the path - stay safe in the storm. It sounds like your fall is on track for what they say you have in store this winter.
ReplyDeleteLove the Runaway sled too ! I am so bad ...I should have posted about seeing the wonderful Barbara Merry rug ..... I have been too busy to post & blogger sometimes won't let me see blogs .....
ReplyDeleteHope you are doing ok , with this storm. We have a lot of wind the past 3 days , but very little rain today. Still very windy though. So many events were cancelled around me and turns out we didn't get the heavy rains. Maybe tonight into tomorrow though ....
To follow up on your blog re: the old house rug --- there is a brief story by Barbara Merry's mother --- about her living on Sears Island in Maine. Searsislandstories.org/life-on-sears-island Shows house and rugs. Donna B.
ReplyDeleteNeed a dot BEFORE org --- sorry. Donna B. Sears Island Childhood is also the site.
ReplyDeleteIn Runaway Sled, I see a giant dinosaur in the background.
ReplyDeleteHow fun that Nancy found a NGS rug at a show. Never would it have dawned on me who the hooker was.
Hopefully the worst of the weather has avoided you.
Yikes,,,stay safe,,,,crazy weather there,,,,,
ReplyDeleteSweet mats,,, 😊
Elaine
Some fun rugs. My favorites are the last three rugs. I must like houses, lol...
ReplyDeleteI hope that the storm has not bees as severe as expected.
Take care and stay safe.
Hugs, Julia