Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Rugs in Review 2014

My but how time flies and will soon have to remember to write 2015 on checks instead of 2014.  Another year older and hard to believe almost 8 years has passed since the divorce.

Something that I like to do now is look back at the rugs I've hooked over the last year.  A few years ago I started keeping a list of the rugs completed during the year as it is fun to reflect back on them and memories associated with the time hooking. 

The first one finished in 2014 was an adaptation of a Harriet Powers quilt block which I named 500 Mile Betts.  I gifted it to my dear friend Evelyn Lawrence since she admired it so much and knew it would have a good home with her.
Next was Magdalena's Lollipop Bouquet and must say this one was on top of the list as one of the most fun.  It was fun trying to replicate Magdalena's colors while using up a lot of my left overs and with some cut wool for consistency in the neutral background and base.
Then was the project which wins 'greatest accomplishment' of several years of hooking..... that would be the completion of the damn Granny Geometric which had been started about 10 years earlier.  I'd pull it out, hook one block and back in the tote it would go for another year or 5.  Happy to say it is done and bound ~ again using up a lot of left over strips.
The Chicken Challenge was offered by Woolwrights Hooking Guild  and I jumped on the chance to get a free antique adaptation pattern.  This too was fun to make mine different from the original and have blotchy background.
When perusing Pinterest I found a wonderful rug hanging on the wall in a cabin.  I knew it appeared to have the age of a copywrite free rug but didn't know who owned it.  And some of the images were hard to decipher so guessed they were birds on the sides.  Once I learned who  owned the rug I wrote for permission to hook it, sell the patterns and received permission.  I named the pattern The Cat's Meow because as I had over dyed wool to give an aged look and as the rug came to be it was THE Cat's meow.
Next was Magdalena's Farm; building up quite number of Magdalena's rugs.  Soon I'll have as many as Evelyn Lawrence who did all the research and who has hooked all her rugs.
Then I wanted to have another antique adaptation pattern to offer for sale so hooked Pot of Flowers.  A picture with a flash and one without.  Makes a huge difference in the way they appear on the monitor.
After that I had two commission pieces to do which were rather large.  I listed them as something I hooked but they weren't mine to keep and received payment for my work.  The names of the patterns and client will remain anonomoyous.

Lucky to win a Duluth Pumpkin kit from generous Maria Barton of Star Rug company I hooked this next; thank you very much Maria.  Love those button eyes that came with.
Okay, so then wishing I owned some of those antique Jack-O-Lanterns I knew growing up, decided I needed to design my own Fall/Halloween pattern and came up with "Mache' Jack-O-Lanterns"
Always needing something else to have on my frame chose to hook Magdalena's Folk Art horse next.  Yup, those Magdalena rugs are mounting up here Evelyn.
OOPS, while going thru my photos realized I hadn't put Ali Katz on my 2014 list (it's there now tho).  Guess that is because still some defining lines need to put in around parts of some of the cats.  But it was hooked and bound in this year.  I have already sold one pattern and can't wait to see she chose to hook it and hope to get a picture.  I understand it won't be worked on until next spring/summer but am still looking forward to it.
Last year just before Christmas I saw what Maria was working on and that little Jolly drove me crazy.  Just had to have him so purchased it from Star Rug Company.  Yeah, did a change or two to make him my boy Jolly.  I love him Maria and he is sitting on my sofa table right now.
And recently last loops were pulled on Magdalena's Olde Ducks.  Even tho it hasn't been bound yet still consider it hooked in 2014.  Perhaps during the start up of 2015 and during the slow time of this remaining holiday the binding will get done.
EEK, I forgot to mention my 'detour' project of hooking arm chair covers for my computer chair.  It wasn't a big project but was hooking nonetheless.
Now all that remains of my hooking in 2014 is Cherries and Candy Stripe which I will show you tomorrow with a bit more of an update.

Have a great evening everyone and may all your loops be perfect.

Saundra

12 comments:

  1. Wow, you certainly are a prolific rug hooker. Congratulations on getting so many hooked in 2014. Wow!!!
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such an amazing and talented lady!! I am inspired by you and hope someday I can learn this wonderful hand craft!!
    Thank you for sharing!
    Warm Hugs~
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful, wonderful rugs!!!
    You are my favorite hooker.
    Happy New Year.
    Hugs :)
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  4. You my Lady really crank them out, and beautifully so.

    Thanks for all you share with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, even without your commission rugs, that's more than one rug a month. NO FAIR!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have done a lot of beautiful reproduction rugs this year. I really need to get going on projects but getting distracted while the hubby is home;)

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like your post divorce life is pretty great and productive! Love, love your rugs. Looking forward to 2015 and reading your blog.

    Wooly Hugs, Kat

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow Saundra, you've hooked so many great rugs this year. Thank you for a wonderful post. It was fun to see them all in a row. Can't wait to see what you get done in 2015! Hugs, Lori

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful hooked rugs this year!!!
    Have a Healthy, Happy rug hooking fun New Year!
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loved seeing your walk down 2014 hooking memory lane.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey there! This is my first visit to your blog! We are a group of volunteers and starting a new project in a community in the same niche. Your blog provided us useful information to work on. You have done a wonderful job! custom wool area rugs

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and I always welcome comments.