Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Antique Rug Show Time

Haven't pulled even one loop since the last rug on the previous post. Yesterday was the afternoon of my second cataract eye surgery and all went well but vision with one eye for several hours wasn't conducive to productivity for much of anything.  Today was a follow up doctor visit and still haven't pulled a loop.  

So to provide a little entertainment think you deserve a rug show. Below is a star design from Pennsylvania using yarn on wool and it looks in great shape.  Barb Carroll has a lovely piece with this technique.
The rug below is from an estate sale and hooked in the 19th century.  It depicts birds, Xs and flowers in the center.  A wedding rug perhaps?
Hooked in the 19th century is the Waldoboro style floral and scrolls below.  I've never tried Waldoboro style mostly because I might want the rug for the floor and would trip over the elevated sections. 
I believe that technique of hooking was named after the town in Waldoboro, Maine where a hooker developed the style.  One of my knowledgeable teacher friends out there correct me if I'm wrong.

The date is visible on this hit and miss geometric rug below...1884.
This multiple hearts in squares almost resembles flower petals and is a pattern rug I recently drew for a customer
Just love this neutral horse and buggy below which was sold by an auction house.  You can see the softly visible blotched sections on the ground as well as the sky.  LOVE this piece and is on my 'to do' list.
This table mat of tongues found in Lancaster, PA I just might have shown before...sorry if it looks familiar.  
Trotting horse with buggy and rider ~ again no provenance to report on this one either.  When info is given on location and or date I put that in the name of the photo and let you guys know.
Below are a pair of chickens and padula flowers in the corners.  Guess 'making do' is where the hit and miss first originated and now we with loads of wool use it to rid ourselves of our multiple left over wool worms.
Now I'm going to pull a loop or two before getting dinner.  Still more to bind on two rugs but am beginning to have withdrawal from having a hook in my hand.

Have a great evening everyone.

Saundra

7 comments:

  1. So happy the surgery went well!
    Happy hooking :)
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear the surgery went well . Had my eye exam yesterday and all is well. Start of cataracts but nothing significant yet. Yay.

    I too really like that neutral sleigh rug.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always love to see the old rugs. I hooked a bit last night on Santa
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Saundra,
    So happy to hear about your surgery! You were in my prayers!!! Love seeing all these rugs in your great rug show!!!!
    Take care and enjoy pulling those loops!!!!
    Big Heart Hugs~
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the carriage in the woods, I think that would be fun to do with a black silhouette, maybe some white birch trees against the dark sky, hmmm.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. So good ureye surgery went well,
    Thanks for rug show!!
    Love them all, but the hearts one really caught my eye,,,, lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad the surgery went well and that you're on the road to recovery. I really love that rug of the horse and buggy with driver in the wood too. The colors are very pleasing.

    Hugs,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and I always welcome comments.