Sunday, September 20, 2026

THIS and THAT

Haven't started binding Crossed Flags yet but will surely begin tomorrow during The Five.  But have pulled a few loops on Magdalena's Double Horse pattern.

I've mentioned previously that replicating and antique (to me) feels like putting puzzle pieces together.  Some people attack a puzzle around the perimeter and get the flat sided pieces hooked then work inward.  Perhaps some concentrate on certain colors of the larger or main subject.  

So let me explain my fragmented hooking below....first I wanted to begin in the corner and move toward the left.   But couldn't hook the space between the swag at the corner and V until the top of the horse and space just above was filled in; which is where I will go next.
Have also been working on a different kind of hand work ~ removing insignia's and stripes from Navy dress uniforms.  For several years since my step-father's passing I've had his metal foot locker in which he kept his dress uniforms.  Rather than giving them to a civilian thrift shop to prevent mis-representation, I removed the insignia's and strips so they may be given to the Naval Thrift Shop.  
Of course my son wants these patches and will put them in a shadowbox frame to hang on the wall.  Since there were 2 dress blue suit coats I kept a set for myself.

Am planning for my next blog post to be about Falloween and wonder how many of you may have begun working on something.  So far I am only aware of 3 of us.  So send me a photo in a day or so of your progress so I can share it.  If you don't have my email in your contact list you can send it to me by using the "EMAIL ME" link to the right side of my blog.

Happy  hooking.

Saundra

7 comments:

  1. I love that your son wants those patches for displaying. Seeing the double horse pattern drawn out it looks quite intricate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So wonderful your son wants those patches. I always am drawn to Magdalena rugs, and this one is no exception. Loving your progress and colors chosen thus far. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  3. How ever you attack a rug it is always perfect. Nice that your son has interest in them.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I concur that it is wonderful your son wants the patches and that you are keeping a set for yourself.
    I look forward to watching your progress on The MBE rug.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You will have to share a photo of the shadow box your son puts together of the patches. What a great idea and tribute. I wouldn’t have thought about someone requisitioning them for nefarious purposes. While, almost inevitably, I overthink every single thing I do, I’m beginning to think I actually underthink some hooking matters. Why can I not find a happy medium between the over and under thinking thing??

    ReplyDelete
  6. On my list too is reframing my husband's father's patches & medals. Maybe for Christmas this year. They are framed in something that is falling apart. But of course that is part of the history.
    Good start to your horse rug. There are a lot of color lines in there. I never know where to start and I know I'm not going to get any falloweening done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That will be so special for your son to want those patches. A family heirloom !
    I haven't started a Witch yet ....am trying to finish a few things first ....time is slipping away too fast for me !!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and I always welcome comments.