Thursday, June 8, 2017

Remember When........

...I asked if those should be leaves or feathers?  That was quite a few posts ago.  It was interesting to see the responses.  I felt since the birds have feathers, that was the way to go ~ yet others said there were already too many feathers so should be leaves.  

In all honesty I have always felt insecure in my color planning ability; unless trying to replicate an antique.  With the antique I'm in my comfort zone with the dirty and muddy mix..

My friend Deb purchased two GOSSIP patterns at different times but didn't realize until organizing her wool room.  She generously gave me the extra but wondered how the hell I'd hook it as color planning is not my strength.  

When I missed taking the pattern to Barb Carroll's camp knew I was still going to hook along with my 'buddies'.  So it was me and not Barb who would color plan.
My initial thought was to use the blackbird and the feathers as 'the border' and frame the design.  Wasn't sure my idea would work or if I'd be able to pull it off.  BUT must admit I've surprised myself and am completely happy where it is going.

The pattern came from Woolley Fox, called Gossip.  As mentioned previously there is no hooked sample of the pattern on their web site yet and as I've taken liberties am sure mine won't be on the web site ever.  

BUT, just think of the potential you'd have with hooking your own favorite birds which use your feeders.  

Saundra

8 comments:

  1. You will make it wonderful which ever way you decide but I vote for feathers.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think leaves would be awkward, unless they were smaller, the feathers look wonderful with the piece, so unless you want to redesign that area, I would say feathers;)

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your feather is off to a great start!
    You insecure? I find that hard to believe.
    Hugs :)
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Saundra,
    I LOVE the feather so far and think you underestimate your abilities!! Birds and feathers go perfectly together!! Glad it is all coming together, my friend!! Great rug!!!
    Enjoy your hooking time!
    Heart Hugs~
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful! Feathers! Perfect,,,, take care, have a good weekend,,,

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love, love how you're hooking that feather and I think feathers is the way to go. It's coming so nicely together. You have a good eye for color and I think the black you chose is perfect. It will balance the picture. My 2 cents worth.

    Enjoy your weekend. Hard toi believe it's Friday already and it's raining. Which means I can hook a bit this afternoon.
    Smiles & hugs,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love birds!
    These are wonderful!
    I have had a found on the side of the road coffee table I have been painting for months now!
    It has birds across it.
    I have spent more time sanding off the birds than painting them.
    I will look at your work to give me some inspiration!
    I think you color plan very well, probably more than you realize!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would never say that you aren't good at color planning! The more we take classes and study the antiques we love, the more we learn about what we love and why purple next to pink is different than purple next to orange. I love your take on Gossip!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and I always welcome comments.