Sunday, June 16, 2019

Old Rug Time

This morning I considered doing a dye blog post ~ looked at the liquid dyes still left from previous dye jobs, looked quickly at which wool to use as the subjects.  And perused the selection of great as is wool on my shelf.  Realized I really didn't need anything so why bother dyeing.  

Am sure none of you mind the second choice for a post ~ after all, who doesn't love looking at old rugs?  This 8 pointed star and 10 hearts has a hit and miss background and said to be hooked around 1930.
A floral center with hit and miss background.  It looks to me as if a couple of those flowers may have faded.  Or using up her worms was the only wool in quantity to do the extra flowers.
From Sturbridge, MA is this Floral Cornacopia with scrolls from the 19th century.  I think I'd have liked it better with a primitive black background.  Of course the dark around the center flower would need to be changed.
Another floral and with my favorite type of primitive black background.  LOVE that blotchy faded look.  Or, could be she used what she had that was close in color/value.
The Folk Art Cats hooked piece I've held for over a year and think it's time to show it.  It has a straighted hooking style and from the Arthur and Sybin Kern collection.  The 20th century hooked piece measures 23 x 35.
Normally I'm not fond of neon colors but this rug appeals to me for some reason; although not sure I'd hook it.  Original size is 21 x 31 1/2.
A little worse for wear but still a beauty, is the antique Sparhawk rug.
Hope you are all enjoying time with family on Father's Day and no yard work.  While I didn't cut grass today did go out and pick up close to 80 pine cones from the front and back yard.  Before grass needs to be cut again there will be that many more to pick up I'm sure....plus limbs.  Oh the joys of home ownership, as Lauren would say.  

Saundra

6 comments:

  1. very true about home ownership, it is always something.
    Love the old rugs I need some purple for lilacs so I need to get in the dye pot but I don't have any off white so I put it off a bit longer.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that old Sparhawk and the folk cats.
    Har har. There is always something that needs done in or out of the house. It rained most of the weekend here. I was mostly a bum. I even took a nap today...very rare indeed.
    Back to binding...unhappy face here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the hit and miss in that second rug and agree as to the flowers. Also agree - very much like the one with the blotchy black background.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So nice to see these!
    Love sparhawk! What a treasure!
    Always lots to do outside,,,
    Take care,,,,

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the Heart rug !!!! And those Kitty Cats are cute too !

    ReplyDelete
  6. so many ideas..I've been thinking about Sparhawk a lot lately...I'm not getting any younger..

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and I always welcome comments.