This is the small amount of wool I used in this experiment. It probably amounts to 1/4 yard all together.
Well I'm rather surprised by the results. I can see a definite change in the tan pieces I dyed and minor results in the piece I was sure would absorb more of the dye.
For the heck of it I went in search to see if I had any more of the grey tweed wool so I could definitely see if there had been a change. And there had been. But strange that even in this picture it looks different than the shot above. Maybe this is the reverse side of the piece above, dunno. But the piece of wool did absorb some of the dye and it does have a purple cast to it.
But hey, it was available color without having to buy dye. I suspect that if I had washed a larger quantity of black binding there would have been more dye to absorb but I only rinsed what I needed for the next two things I need to bind.