Sunday, April 23, 2017

Rug Show Anyone?

Any time is a good time for a rug show even if the style or cut may not be your personal choice.
Thought the above rug was adorable of a man with pipe and his dogs. The original was 20 x 39, early 20th century.
Yeah I know Easter has come and gone but bunnies are abundant and visible this time of year.  Above is an old rug with three rabbits and fauna, 13 x 25 from Sturbridge, MA 19th century.
Above is an American New Engand historical rug known as Cogwells Grant which was hooked between 1890-1925.  The original measured 28 x 39.  Just recently someone on Facebook presented her adaptation of the rug and had done a fine job, this is also on my 'to do' list.  
What is it about lions which intrigues me so much.  Perhaps it has to do with the 'weavers' lion and maybe this is where the design came from. OH ~ and I love the scrolls.  Must admit I was scared of hooking scrolls until I took a class with Barb Carroll.  

The rug taken to a class with Barb was an ES Frost Sheep rug and wanted the scrolls but did not know where to start.  She informed me there were different styles of scrolls and gave me a verbal mini lesson while at the work station. Below is one style which I've also seen on old rugs since class.  
Barb took all the stress out of hooking scrolls for me and I'm elated with the results.  This beauty hangs over my fireplace mantle and as Barb calmed my inner fears hooking scrolls think I'll try a different style in my future.

If you are interested in taking a class with Barb with a group or wish to be a 'fill in' should someone happen to cancel, you can contact Barb HERE

Saundra

8 comments:

  1. Always love seeing the old rugs, you cannot beat the look of the naive styles. Your sheep piece is beautiful and a nice one to hang over the fireplace.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know there are several sellers out there offering the Cogwells Grant pattern. Friend Lisa was hooking it at a recent class I took.
    I just love your Frost sheep!!!
    Happy Sunday :)
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love seeing old rugs...Cogwells Grant is on my list too...but not going to draw it up myself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for rug show,, always good to see them!!! The cogwell grant mat is offered by julie at old tattered flag, as a punch needle and rug hooking pattern, I believe,,, take care,,,

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the bunny rug and took a close look. The colors feels so quiet and peaceful.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Saundra,
    So many wonderful rugs I would love to hook.....when I finally can again! I really love Cogwells Grant, the bunny rug, and of course, your sheep rug!! So many wonderful rugs to dream about!!! So happy you had such a wonderful teacher in Barb Carroll!!
    Take care and enjoy your week!
    Heart Hugs~
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahhhh...those bunnies make my heart sing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and I always welcome comments.