Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Opinions Please

I'm sure you've heard to statement, "don't ask the question if you don't want to hear the answer".  Well I am going to ask a question and I truly DO want to hear the answers and opinions.

Notice the light outlines of the facial features on the sheep in this photo.  Every time I would look at it my gut told me to pull it out and put in darker wool for the outline.  So I did.  I've never had a problem reverse hooking before and won't have a problem pulling out this newly hooked darker value wool either.

Here is what it looks like right now.  But I'm not sure if it is a dark enough value or not.  Or, for that matter if the lighter color really is what should be on the sheep. 

So I would really appreciate your opinions and am open to any and all suggestions.  Should I go back to the light outlines?  Do I go darker value even than what I just hooked in the face or is this value okay.  And...... perhaps it would mean that the blue eye color should change as well.  Decisions, decisions. decisions.  I'm waffling here so am looking forward to your your comments.

8 comments:

  1. I feel your pain, but always follow your gut. I like the darker version, but I would recommend hooking the rest of the body before deciding. I have been using a door peephole from the hardware store to look at my rugs from a "distance" when I am color conflicted. It does help! (Tip from Cynthia Norwood). Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also like the darker version, and wonder how one line of your current dark on the chin would look with an even darker line below it, perhaps one thin cut line. As a shadow under the chin? Keep hooking the body and play with it later!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How about pulling out the 'mouth' line and hooking the darker chin line and leaving only the eye/nose facial features? Does the make sense?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with MizT, before you pull anything out, I would suggest that you just "sneak" some small cut very dark bits here and there to give this handsome fellow some more personality. I really like this design and how you're hooking it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm thinking darker...but maybe I need to see more background around it. Though, I like the ideas about more dark throughout the little guy. Just a thought!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Saundra ~
    I suck at color planning, so you'll get no help from me...lol! I'm sure no matter what you choose, it will look great.
    Pug hugs :)
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the darker shading better-- it's more subtle but a definite chin marker and under the chin would naturally be darker anyway.
    I like the rug!

    Blessings,
    Debra <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. *****both are beautiful...the original was a cream colored sheep and the eyes were dark and the facial features a medium tan. hook more of the background around the head of the sheep before you make a final decision. although the subtleness of the face right now is
    appealing, the original nature of the sheep is to be bold along with the circles and birds, typical of the pennsylvania german hooker who
    originally hoked this piece. good luck with your decision.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and I always welcome comments.