Saturday, May 10, 2014

Cotton Binding a Rug Part 2

Now all bound, the little circle mat graces my harvest table.  It is in good company with favorite INSIDE birdhouses.  They were made in Cape May using re-purposed treasures rescued from shutters, old electric and door knobs of the Chalfonte Hotel where Rugs By the Sea rug camp is held each year.  If you are interested in learning more about that camp write Norma by clicking HERE.
In the previous post I recommended bleeding out the dye from the cotton binding.  Once dry I cut a length around the circumference of the rug and I always like to add about 2" for the heck of it.  I'd rather cut away an inch for the trash than end up an inch short. 

If you look closely in the photo below you can see the thread which is on one side and can be pulled to gather around the curved corner or a circle chair pad.  If you feel both sides one side feels a little sharper or ridged and that is the side which would have that gathering thread.  Sometimes it takes several attempts to find the pesky thread and sometimes I've hit it on the first try.  If one end doesn't work the play with the other end.

I start the gathering even before attaching to the mat and later manipulate it in the spots where the gather is needed.
I used black Perle cotton to attach the binding tape around the perimeter near the last row of hooking.  In the photo below you can see that as I near the rounded corner it will require gathering on the inside so that it will lay flat.  Also, I started the end on a straight and not the curve.
 As you work around the hooked piece you need to work the gathering to the proper areas inside the mat/rug. 
Here is a picture of two rounded, gathered and stitched corners.
Happy Mother's Day to all you moms and hope you have a wonderful weekend.

Saundra
 

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the tutorial; I haven't used binding tape yet so this will be helpful when I do. Have a fabulous weekend too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still need to look for that darned gathering thread.
    Happy Mother's Day, dear friend.
    Hugs :)
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and I always welcome comments.