Tuesday, July 18, 2017

My Rugs Continued

In 2014 I hooked several rugs and mats.  As some were small mats the list of hooked pieces was more extensive.  Yesterday's post included a couple of those done that year also.  Among others were the small size Folk Art Horse (Woolley Fox pattern).
Magdalena's Olde Ducks is what I hooked in a class with Betsy Reed and is presently on my harvest table.
I miss my girl Shadow and after having hooked my Rottweiler Memorial in #3 told Shadow 'she was a wide cut sorta girl'.  So hooked Shadow in #8 in a class with Diane Stoffel.  Shadow's Memorial is hanging on the wall to the left of me.
This was the year that Deb Burcin hosted a "chicken challenge" on the Woolrights Guild Blog.  Visit the site and you can view all the entries.  I bound the rug using Betsy Reed's primitive binding technique and think it adds to the old look.
For several years the Granny Geometric was a UFO....I mean SEVERAL years.  Finally found the determination to finish this.  You can even see how my hooking evolved and my finally learning how to make sharp corners.  You can see the difference in some of the blocks.  Another great way for me to use up those excess wool strips.
Magdalena's Farm was a rug hooked with Barb Carroll, another Magdalena design.
Even tho there are always numerous rug patterns in my stash I continually end up drawing an antique adaptation to hook.  Such was the case for this Antique Pot of Flowers.
In order to use up more of those pesky multiplying wool strips I challenged people to join me in a circle Mat.  Since circles was the theme thought I'd round the corners of the mat to compliment the look.
In 2014 my friend Evelyn told me she was teaching a class at Sauder on Harriet Powers Bible Quilts and Granny Donaldson's cow blanket applique.  So took that as a challenge for myself and told Evelyn my plan to design a small piece from a Harriet Powers' Bible quilt block.  If you would like to read the article I wrote about it on my blog in 2014, click HERE.
That wasn't the end of that story....... Evelyn asked if she could take it to Sauder with her to show the class as an example of adapting a quilt piece to a hooked piece.  Evelyn razzed me about people coming into her class to see the mat and how it was tilted on the wall, how with all the muss and fuss of having to deal with visitors the rug should go to her as payment.  

That is Evelyn's humor but at Cape May when she returned the mat to me for the show there, and upon picking up our rugs after that show, I presented Evelyn with the rug as a token of our friendship.

Lucky me, I was the winner of a give-away for the Duluth Pumpkin kit offered by Maria Barton of Star Rug Company.
Afterward decided to design my own pumpkins mat.  I've always wanted a collection of vintage paper mache' Jack-O-lanterns....well I'd be happy with just one frankly.  So decided to design a rug pattern called Mache' Jacks.  It measures 15 x 25 and costs $30.
That year I finally decided to hook an adaptation of the old Santa and Deer pattern.
Same year I fell in love with a small Snowman mat design by Maria Barton so had to order it.  That hooked up really quickly and is cute to display during the Christmas holiday.  Oops, sorry Lauren, I said that "C" word again.

Have a great evening everyone.

Saundra

7 comments:

  1. Love them all!
    Cathy
    ps what a nice gift to give

    ReplyDelete
  2. The rugs are all nice and my favorites are Shadow and the Santa rug. I'm amazed that you remember all those stories with each rugs.

    I'm having difficulty with my google email account and Google wants me to use Google + so I'm not all set up as I'm not sure which way I want to go. I could not read anybody's blogs or access my reading list.
    I've been very busy and I had to spend 2 hours on my computer trying to get this problem fixed. This is the first time I can sent a comment since I received a comment from Lauren.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do remember these rugs and loved them all, especially your memorial rug, that one is very special.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. you were sure busy in 2014! the Circle Mat is one of my favorites of yours...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh, sau dra,, you are amazing!!
    Love , love ur mats!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Saundra,
    I ALWAYS LOVE to see your rugs and once again, these are wonderful!! I especially love the first rug!!!
    Hope you have a great week and are keeping COOL!!!
    Heart Hugs~
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shame, shame, shame. That darn "C" word again.
    Just getting caught up here and I am so enjoying seeing your rugs once again. I remember following along with so many of them.
    Keep on sharin'
    Hugs :)
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and I always welcome comments.