Monday, July 10, 2017

Sewing Labels On

I'll give you folks a break from rugs I've hooked and present two rug labels just sewn on.  In previous posts have shown you how I do printed fabric labels with more than one label per sheet.  Tap that highlighted link above to see the info.

But NOW...... instead of stitching on a thin cotton label onto the back of the rug I'm doing something different.  Why didn't I think of this before?

I have machine stitched the cotton label onto a piece of felt and hand sewed the felt to the back of the rug.  You can see this rug was bound using the wool whipped edge and the wool came from Ali Strebel.  It is a nicely dyed wool complimenting the Magdalena Goat rug.
Yeah, the rug is a little wonky even after steaming, pulling and stretching.  It is what happens when there are curves, circles in curves and just the dynamics of the hooking process which makes the rug go wonky at the sides.  But hey, isn't this which makes us love the antique rugs, right?

Another label sewed on today was for Olde Hearts. The photo of a rug on the label was one replicated of the original antique.  Sadly my printer ink levels were low so the labels were not clear.
However, I like this new method of sewing the cotton printed label onto the felt first.

Now back to working on the bottom of the Gossip rug.  Must admit that I'll be happy when this BIG MOMMA is done so that I can move on.  

Happy Monday. 

Saundra


6 comments:

  1. Love ur labels!! I get my labels from a company in england! Actually my aunt sends me them! She uses them for her knitting,, love them,,, they are great for mats, too,,, and my punch needles, too,,, so if I sell any , have my name!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so bad a labels but when I do them I am so happy I did. thanks for the info and reminder.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Saundra,
    Your labels are just perfect! Great idea with the felt, too! Looking forward to the finish of "Big Momma!"
    Enjoy your week!
    Heart Hugs~
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do like the labels sewn on to a felt base - brilliant idea! I've never labeled any of my rugs - only hooked initials & dates into them....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to label my rugs some day when life slows down. I have the direction on how to label but never bothered. have done it.
    Julia

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and I always welcome comments.