Wednesday, August 4, 2021

HOW TO Enlarge a Pattern for Hooking on the PAINT PROGRAM

Julia has inquired how I enlarge my patterns.  Even if there was a Kinkos in my one-horse town I'd still enlarge my patterns the easy and low cost way....on my computer.

Once you have drawn a sketch or found an image you wish to enlarge print it out on one sheet of paper.  Measure the dimensions…..  let’s say it measures 6 ½” x 9 ¾”.
  
Scan and crop the picture close to the exterior lines and save in a document.  Hover over the document and RIGHT click, Open with the PAINT PROGRAM which can be found under WINDOWS Accessories.

Click FILE then choose Print, Page Set up.

In the ORIENTATION: choose if you want to print the pages in ‘portrait’ or ‘landscape’  

In the MARGINS: type “0” (zero) in the 4 blocks and you will see it change to its default

Next you need to determine what size you want your rug.  The copy you are working with is, as stated above, 6 ½ x 9 ¾.  If you enlarge the picture 250% you would end up with several pieces of paper which will give you a design approx. 16 ¼” x 24”.  Enlarging 300% will give you a final design of approximately 19 ½ x 29 ¼”.  So get out your calculator.

Now go to SCALING, choose Adjust To: and type in the percentage of increase where it once said 100%.  

Here is a screen shot of what it will look like before you click PRINT again.
Print out your pages, lay them on a table.  I always cut away that right and bottom section of each page so the lines match, tape them together and voila.

If the print doesn’t come out dark enough I use a wide black marker to make the lines stand out.  I never use red dot anymore, I draw my exterior lines on my foundation and place the pattern below my linen, pin it and draw. 

Hope this tutorial helps, and you can thank Julia for my post.

Saundra

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for bothering to answer my question. I have a MacBook Pro laptop and I'm not sure if I have some similar program. Maybe I could check up on it sometime. I'm not very techie.

    I got to go back and finish mowing the back lawn. It's supposed to rain
    a-g-a-i-n tomorrow.

    I finally took some photos for the blog and I may just do a post this evening. I had taken photos with my iPhone but for some reason, my device did not show up on my computer so I could not upload my photos.

    Hugs,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good instructions I usually take it to my local UPS store they do a good job.
    cathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. How awesome, thank you. I am thankful we have a nice store nearby. Though I think it would be so much easier to do it on my computer. I started the Whale yesterday.
    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will take the easy way out & buy the pattern all drawn up !!!LOL !!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are just too smart for your own good...lol!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh thank you! I have never used paint, but will need to try this now. Janice

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and I always welcome comments.