Sunday, August 18, 2024

RUG SHOW

Have a few newly found rugs for sale some old, some not so old and one advertised as old but will let you be the judge of that.  You can find that one further down in this post.  But first, horses, hearts and stars said to be hooked late 19th to early 20th century measuring 24 x 39.5.
Rabbits and dog with no date or dimensions offered.  Kinda cute and wish there had been a better, cleaner photo.
Roosters rug with scrolls in corners and blocks background dated 19th century.  Dimensions are 31 x 46.
Another geometric of blocks hooked early 1900's (16 x 22).
I saved the rug photo below early March and since it wasn't a favorite didn't show it.  Am tired of looking at it so thought I show it to you then move it to the other folder.  Perhaps I'd like it better if it was just one basket of flowers because it looks more like a placemat or serving tray to me.  Guess the hooker wanted it to have the same view either way you walked into and out of the room or hall.  
Not a rug but would make a wonderful one; it's an 18th century embroidered wallet.
Oh I love this abstract geometric!  Dimensions are 39 x 44 and hooked late 19th century.  It's probably the dirty colors which attract me.
And now, this is the one I spoke of early in the post.  What first caught my attention was the listing which said it was a 1908 hooked rug.  Well that's right up my alley and got my eyes and ears perked up.  Then I saw the photo.
Upon looking at it more critically doubted it was from 1908 despite the seller stating it was and "08" hooked in the rug.  So I contacted the seller telling her I was a hooker and thought she may have assumed incorrectly and the date might actually indicate it was hooked 2008.  Then she returned a reply saying I was wrong.  So you be the judge as there are a lot of more experienced rug hookers who read my blog and perhaps you know better than me.  You can see the listing HERE.  Does that look like a rug hooked in 1908 with cotton seam binding and wool yarn whipped edge?  And do you know a hooker with the initials JC?

That's all I got for tonight.  Think temps are gonna cool down a little and the local weatherman said we just might have an early fall. 

Saundra


9 comments:

  1. The embroidered wallet go my vote. Am no expert on looking at picture so cannot guess, but looks pretty bright to me...and am not a fan. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  2. That embroidered wallet is so pretty! Fun abstract geometric, too.
    Rug seems just a little too perfect to be 116 years old.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too love the wallet. Also the geometric blocks would be fun for a kids room and is a design they could actually grow with. That ‘08: documentation? If you enlarge it, all the wool is the same weave and suspiciously vibrant colors like modern dyes. I’m no pro, but. . .
    Lady Locust

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great show!!!!love alot of these,,
    Wow,,weather change ,,,cool and breeze ,,,elaine

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the double bouquet rug looks like a tray too. Love the wallet, it would make a good rug. And I agree that last one looks too new & uniform to be 1908. Unless like with quilts, some were put away as too good to use and brought out only on special occasions?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hands down the Geometric for me! ~ in thee oldest-looking, grungiest autumnal colors I could dye or find! {oooooooh!}
    and yeah, I think that JC rug might just be a bit more contemporary than the seller thinks...sad that she just couldn't have thanked you for your input instead of saying you were 'wrong' ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. again, that's me above... :/ Lori from NFF

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm in love with both the geometric abstract (or abstract geometric?) and the wallet. Gah, that wallet!! I looked at the listing for the '08 rug and agree with you... ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow that wallet is amazing ! Can't even imagine using that !
    Your rugs show are always interesting !

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and I always welcome comments.