Saturday, October 19, 2024

CHANGED AFTER 8 YEARS

Couldn't stand looking at it any longer until a change was made to the witch's eye.  This Lori Brechlin design (sold by Spruce Ridge) was hooked 2016 and this is what it looked like all those years until yesterday.
I know it is a whimsical design but the eye looked too awkward and bold.  It was too big for the face, the outline of the eye too dark, the eyebrow a tad too light and didn't like that 'hairy' mole on her chin as it looked it was a piece of wool there by accident.  So this is how the rug looks now.
The new softer version is much better me thinks.  I'd contemplated removing the entire eye and starting from scratch.  Then decided to try a simpler way by making the eye smaller from the top.  I trimmed the top loops of the entire eye (white, brown, black, brown then white at the right corner).  Then used a thinner piece of wool which wasn't quite as dark as that first to outline the top.  That meant there was room for a piece of green to hook above the eye adding to the face and reducing the bold eye.  I also changed the color of the eyebrow and added a couple loops to the forehead hair.  Oh, and surgically removed her hairy mole 😁.

I'm happier now and it took me 8 years to finally change it.  Oh, and what a difference a photo makes, the colors look better in this last shot too ~ a win win.

Saundra


8 comments:

  1. Very impressive....A repairer extraordinaire of old rugs one day and a cosmetic surgeon the next. ;-) Your changes are PERFECT! It's unbelievable the way such seemingly small changes have transformed the entire piece. I like it so much better now. Please will this one to me as well LOL. ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am surprised how much those small changes made such a big difference too ! It's a great pattern !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes much better, but cannot believe you waited this long to change it....then again who am I to say this when it takes me forever just to hook one rug. LOL Any hoot, witchy poo looks much more enchanting now and ready to cast her spell. Just in time for Halloween. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  4. A small change can make a big difference. Glad you are happier with it now.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I never would have changed it but I admit the changes are for the better!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. looking good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to agree with your changes. The thing that struck me is that it’s a profile view with a front view eye. 👁️. I chalked it up to whimsy. Happy autumn 🍂
    Lady Locust

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good for you,,,😍😍🍁🍃🍄
    Change things and liking it better,,
    Gosh, we are having wonderful fall weather,,,wow,,,,
    Lovely fall colors too,,,

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and I always welcome comments.