Thursday, November 23, 2023

FUN FRIDAY

Definitely won't be a Black Friday for me as I wouldn't put myself into the circus of pushing/grabbing shoppers, packed parking lots, and highway traffic.  But my daughter-in-love and her siblings do that every year.  Nope, not me, I'm staying home thank you.  

Cats and flowers dated 1925 measures 37 x 38.
It's deer hunting season now and hope those deer fawns who visited my yard this spring and recently survive.  Yes I understand the need to cull the species and know they are detrimental to the farmers crops.  Hopefully the deer know my yard is their safe space.  I like this rug and its blotchy background.
A lovely 
crescent shaped hooked rug with cabin and crow.  Hooked early 20th century measuring 18 x 35.5.
Very nice geometric!  No dimensions were provided but you can see the date.
I read or heard somewhere that at one time elephants were a very popular animal to hook.  Am wondering why the elephant?  Could it be the influence of the traveling circus which visited small country towns?  The elephant was probably the most exciting event of the circus which they wanted to replicate as a memory?  No date attributed to the rug below but dimensions were 18 x 34.
As I have hooked a Frost Sheep with scrolls it is always great to see an antique.  This one had fringe at the ends and no date provided but it is obviously old.
Decorative floral but no other info provided.  The hooker ran out of the really dark fabrics for the background so had to improvise in a few places.
Show horses and again no date provided.  Nice horses but won't be one I'd replicate.
An eagle rug with a hit and miss border as well as background.  Yet the eagle does stand out.
A frightened horse ~  look at his eye, and it is bolting away.  Rug measures 31 x 59 and while no date was provided it sure does look like a legit antique.
 
Happy Thanksgiving, happy shopping for you folks who are brave enough to venture out Black Friday and happy hooking, stitching or knitting to those who are staying home.
 

Saundra


11 comments:

  1. HAPPY THANKSGIVING Saundra. Again, you give us an interesting mix of antique rugs. Mostly animals but my favorite one is the geometric one. I think the background of the sheep one would be a bit challenging to replicate.

    We lost power last evening during the heavy snow storm. The snow was very heavy and many outage in our area but the power was restored before noon today. Our Generac generator kicked in so we were not affected.
    Hugs,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  2. No Black Friday shopping for me...though I may head to a local antique mall in hopes of finding nothing...lol!
    I think my favorite rug is the 1841 geometric.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No Black Friday shopping for me either. I did it once a long time ago and decided that it wasn't for me. It was a chaotic frenzy of greedy people grabbing for merchandize. I love a good bargain but not those kinds.
    I heard on the news this evening that there was a Black Friday
    online shopping scam going on and to be careful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the Cats!
    And all of these fun mats,,
    Like looking online,,but rarely go out anymore,,,,

    ReplyDelete
  5. no black friday shopping for me...
    but Peter & Hannah have enjoyed it for years...they have headed out for a country breakfast to fuel up for the day! ~ I'll be here stitching, punching, hooking..... <3
    Lori from Notforgotten Farm

    ReplyDelete
  6. No Black Friday waking up at dawn to fight the crowds , but my daughter in law Loves it !
    Might order a few things on line though for the kids.
    A perfect day to pull loops for me after I went for a nice long waddle(walk) this morning !
    My favorite rug is 1841, if I was a cat person that would be fun to hook .

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well there’s not a single rug I wouldn’t hook but I must say the 1841 mat has my heart. We’re supposed to have small sales here in Canada but not like ya’ll. Our two main grocery stores have actually gone UP in price today. I couldn’t believe it . Sheepunderfeet

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the rug show. Elephants have been considered lucky. If positioning figurines, you are supposed to stand them with the rear facing you and the head away. I don't know why, but that is what I was taught.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very interesting to learn Colleen, thanks for the comment. Wish I could reply to you personally but you are a NO REPLY blogger and you didn't provide an email address in your profile.

      Delete
  9. Great rug show as always. No shopping for me but I did go to lunch
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  10. The 1841 one is interesting and love the last horse. I had to work Friday, but I try to stay away from the stores as much as I can...except for my own. Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving. Janice

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and I always welcome comments.