Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Vintage Rug Surfing

Since Cape May rug camp is a mere 40 days away and the only design being considered for hooking at camp is We Folk thought I'd do a little web vintage rug surfing to see if something spoke to me.  Oh but I saw lots of things I liked and even considered one.  This one, it is definitely naive, primitive with a little whimsy, but think I want to hook this at home with no need for teacher.  Plus this is probably one I'd set aside and work on more than one at a time because the directional hooking might become boring.  However, that IS part of the love of this rug that caught my eye.
Also liked the rug with the cyclists, but lots of background.....sigh.
I have this 'thing' for horses but already I've hooked 5 horses in 4 rugs so think I'll pass but sure do like all these  guys. 


Okay, Saundra, enough of the horses...... This next one is on my list to definitely hook one day but not for Cape May.
For some reason I thought there was a picture of the antique drawing of man feeding bear, another with Santa holding deer and a few other pictures of antique rugs on my flash drive or computer.  Or, maybe when I saw them while surfing thought I'd already saved them.  For sure the Santa and Reindeer is on my mind for November so that it would be done to put on my harvest table by Christmas, so I'll have more surfing to do again for sure.

Tomorrow I'm planning on over dyeing some wool from the Beautiful Wool dye book and using the recipe High Meadow Green.  I've used that color a lot in many of my rugs and also teachers seem to gravitate toward that wool when choosing colors for color planning my rugs.  And, might just play with the pot a little for a little variation as it will be my background color for We Folk.  Hopefully it will turn out well again.

Thanks for visiting. 

Saundra



5 comments:

  1. I have done a couple of horse rugs too but I am sure there will be more.I love the first rug that would be on my list. I would like to see the bear rug. Oh I am not sure what I am talking about I barely came back to hooking.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. okay, so no horses, maybe a pony? teasing, whatever you choose it will be fine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Saundra ~
    You have found some wonderful rugs!!! Love the first one with the cabin!
    I've also hooked a few horses and there are more I want to hook.
    Pug hugs :)
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Saundra, I love the first one the best but wow all of them were great! Hugs Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the one with the horse and the houses and that crazy border, looks like fun! Is the one with the santa and reindeer really naive and folky? I think one of my friends has hooked that one.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and I always welcome comments.