That would be double-dipping in the walnut dye pot. As there was much liquid left thought I'd do another round of dying before it went bad. This time I used only 3/4 yard of fabric thinking the most potent dye had been used in the previous job. Here is today's achievement.
The top wool is before and bottom is after. Was a little disappointed in the middle wool results. It isn't quite as white as the before but not as dark as I'd hoped ~ must be the fiber content of the wool.
The rest of the dye has been poured out, think I'm over the black walnut dyeing this fall. Besides must clean house and get closer to ready for rug camp in 9 days.....can't wait to see Betsy Reed again.
For those just now visiting my blog I will reiterate my black walnut dye process. You can see the first of these dye jobs if you scroll down a few posts.
I put 30 whole green/brown nuts in a
huge pot (a canning pot actually) with water enough to cover all the nuts.
Brought it to a boil then simmered for maybe half hour. I let the pot
cool on the stove as I wanted all the dye to be released. Placed the
pot in my laundry room sink until the next morning with the nuts still in the
In the morning took the pot outside as it would be messy. With a slotted spoon pulled out all the nuts and tossed in the woods for the squirrels.
Meanwhile my 1½ yards of wool had been soaking, I rung the water out and
placed in the dye pot on the stove. Simmered the wool until wool got to be
as dark as I’d liked. Of course wet wool always shows up darker than when dry.
There is NO NEED to add a mordant to black walnut dye as it will dye EVERYTHING! Wear gloves if you insist on working with black walnuts.
Again, the pot and wool went into the laundry room sink to cool and continue to absorb dye. You can see I'm in no hurry here and don't want to handle hot wool.
I rinsed the wool several times in the sink until rinse water was clear. Next put the wool in a pot with more clear water and that went in the washer for spin only. Then into the dryer with a fluffy towel used only for my dye jobs.
Take advantage of the remaining life of the black walnuts as weather is getting colder and they will be gone.
It's good to know that there's no need for a mordant with black walnuts for those who want to dye with black walnuts. I like the result but I can see that the middle piece didn't absorbed much dye. Thanks for sharing your experiment. I find the process very interesting.ReplyDelete
I was going to go look for butternuts but my time has been too limited, maybe next year. I'm dying to dye.
so nice you used up most of it.ReplyDelete
looks good...so frustrating when a wool won't take up any/much dye...I've had a few supposedly 100% wool that did nothing...as much as I love dyeing I really enjoy getting all the supplies put away and the area cleaned up...must be why I go so long between dyeing sessions...looking forward to seeing your new camp rug..ReplyDelete
Looks great,, saundra!ReplyDelete
Bet ur looking forward to goingnto camp again,,,,