Wednesday, February 1, 2023

A VINTAGE RUG SHOW

Yeah, figure it's about time since the photos are accumulating in that folder.  Recently told you about finding more rugs hooked by Barbara Merry and her daughter Nancy Gertrude Scott.  Here is one, a wonderful Whaling Scene which is more detailed than other Nancy G Scott rugs.
Round chair pad of house with floral border, 37" diameter dated 1920.
Sad this sweet cat rug is in such disrepair.  No date or dimensions provided.
A bear measuring 20 x 39.5 but no date.
A  lone bird rug hooked 19th century 
measuring 40 x 42.  Interesting to me with those rectangular hooked blocks of colors.  I've never seen a background done like this before.
This is the pattern recently drawn for Lisa which I named 'Nesting'.  The dimensions she requested were 25 x 25.  But increasing the design with equal percentage it came out to 24 x 25.
And last is Resting Dogs hooked with cotton on burlap dated 1930 from Marty Osler collection.  It measures 31.5 x 45.
This is the back and doesn't appear the rug lost much color to fading.
Happy February 1st and tomorrow is Ground Hog Day.   Heard on the news yesterday that January was the warmest month ever for Delaware.  And then there is today where temps are below normal.  If today had been like yesterday I'd think Punxsutawney Phil would stay out of his hole and declare an early spring.  But now I'm not so sure.

Happy hooking.

Saundra


9 comments:

  1. I like the house one. Stay warm. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the chair pad also and the pattern of the pair of birds with the nest.
    I'm amazed that you are still finding rugs by Barbara Mary and her daughter Nancy.
    You're a good detective.

    February is starting very cold. It was -22 C this morning or -7.6 F. I sure hope it warms up. We've been so spoiled with warmer than usual temperatures in January.

    Stay warm and well. Hugs.

    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  3. The larger dog could pass for Millie's twin, so I'll choose that one today. But I do like those whaling ships. We sure are ready to see some warmer days and be done with the ice that's covering everything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love all the mats,,,and the chairPad!!!!Sweet,,,,
    Thanks Saundra,,,,,!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow that Barbara Merry rug is busy ! Love the house ....
    We go into the deep freeze tomorrow & Saturday , that Stupid Ground Hog in PA saw his shadow , in Mass he didn't !!! So since I live in Mass I say YAY !!! Bring on the Spring !!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love “nesting” design and monochromatic color scheme. Lady Locust (having issues with being anonymous again 🙄)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, my....I adore that whaling rug...the scene, the colors, everything... And "Nesting"...I am thinking I might have to have you do that one for me too...if I ever catch up with all the other things I have "in the wings" (or manage to forget about them LOL). ~Robin~ (TheCrankyCrow) (The large dog in the final rug reminds me of a skeleton or xray LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow that whaling rug is something! Love the nesting too.
    Yes we were very warm for us in Jan but Feb is more than mak8ng up for it already.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and I always welcome comments.