Friday, February 24, 2023

MISC. CHIT CHAT

The last one standing on the could-be pile is in the process of being bound.  This time instead of a whipped edge I've chosen cotton type binding method.  I'll plan to work on this at least an hour a day (hopefully) so it isn't left when the Stars rug is finished.  Not that Stars is close to being fully hooked mind you, it is just that hooking is more fun and I tend to do that more than focusing on binding.
Yesterday weather was high 70's today in the high 50's and tomorrow will be in the upper 30's.  There is snow predicted but since the ground is so warm there won't be any accumulation and then will turn to rain.

However, tomorrow's menu is planned and it will be a different soup recipe than I've ever made before and will give you my rating after the meal.  I shared the recipe with a blogger friend and when she makes it am sure she will share her thoughts as well.  
Yesterday I went to the grocery store to pick up a few things including pearl couscous which I'd never used before.  In case you're interested in reading about this soup you can read about it HERE.

A post or two ago I told you about the number of goldfinch and other species of birds hogging the feeders.  Would you believe I  they have gone thru 40 pounds of black oil sunflower seeds in 14 days?  Right now a 40 pound bag at Walmart sells for $29.99. 
 
Each evening at dusk I bring in the empty feeders and take them out filled the next morning.  Most mornings the birds will be sitting on tree limbs or the poles where the feeders hang waiting for their meal ticket.  Those birds are on welfare and I'm no better than big government for providing free food which the birds could naturally find for themselves.  

Happy Friday, happy hooking. 

Saundra




 

6 comments:

  1. Interesting method of binding...whipping the binding cloth, right? Yes, do let us know about the soup...always up for a good new recipe...especially a good, new, SOUP recipe. I spent the better part of the day making a bordelaise sauce...the house smells heavenly. Yikes, your feathered friends are high maintenance LOL. My turkeys are happy with whatever they can find. Slim pickin's, though, with all the snow...and, NO, I am NOT going to feed them LOL. ~Robin~ (TheCrankyCrow)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That floral rug looks as good on the back as in the front. You are so dedicated to your rug hooking.

    40 lbs of black oil sunflower seeds in 14 days, that is a lot and at 29.99 a bag, it adds up quickly... My next door neighbour, who moved to an assisted living apartment, had two large plastic totes full of seeds for the birds, on her back deck. In no time she had to buy some more. The squirrels were so fat and couldn't wait until she would put the seeds at the feeders, and ate two large holes in her plastic totes. She had to buy two metal garbage bins to store hers expensive seeds. Having so many birds in your backyard must be a sight.

    That soup looks so very tempting. Nothing like a good soup on a cold day. It's been so cold but I didn't made the soup yet because being Catholic, we eat fish on Friday and so I made a seafood chowder for supper instead. I need to buy pearl couscous tomorrow. I have the ordinary couscous but the pearl couscous is larger. I'm sure it will be very good because I love all the ingredients.

    Stay warm and cosy.
    Hugs,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy looking soup,,,
    We go thru alot of see too,,,
    Temps wow,,,
    Nice,enjoy, ,,,
    ElainešŸ”

    ReplyDelete
  4. I usually plane sunflowers in the backyard for the Finches to enjoy. Bob does not like rice or couscous in soups, so I will have to pass, but to me it looks good! Being Catholic too we had seafood last Friday and this Friday will make salmon. Hope you are enjoying your weekend! Janice

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your analogy of the birds at the feeders...lol!
    So what have you decided on for your "plus one"?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay for getting rugs bound. I am impressed that even though it's not your "happiest" time spent, you get them finished. And I would eat that soup :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and I always welcome comments.