Friday, February 17, 2023

It's Another Rug Show

This is an antique rug I drew for a customer.  She wanted the long side to be 44" long requiring at least another 6" for the margin making a required linen length at least 50".  Since my bolt of linen hasn't arrived the longest piece of linen I had was 45".  Which would only allow the rug's design to be 39".   

She decided to go with that size and it is still plenty large enough for her to hook in #8, #8.5 and larger for background, roosters, etc.  It began to grow on me while drawing it.  It was hooked 1890 but don't know the original dimensions .
While perusing my photos came across a similar style.  It was also hooked 1890, measures 19 x 30 and sold for $3,250.  Which makes me wonder if there were other variations of the design by the same peddler using the floral as the main focus.
Country Home dated in the1800's with dimensions of 20.5 x 36, this is the front.
For true colors here is the back.
I'm done hooking florals, but for you flower lovers here is one with a scallop border plus 8 point stars.  It measures 20.5 x 34. 
Libby, was a Guard Dog at the Confederate Prison for Union Captives.   I found the description so interesting I had to google it and you can find one source HERE.
A lion rug pre-civil war measuring 34 x 42.  It is dated 1857 on the far side edge of the rug.
Love Birds dated Mar 13, 1902; it measures 32 x 48.    
I found a couple whaling rugs, will show this and save the other for a future post.  Hooked late 19th/early 20th century and measures 26.5 x 38.5.
I've shown cats, dog, lions, birds, boats and whales.  So before I end the post I MUST find a horse!  This primitive horse is in disrepair and with a date of 1875.
Am down to one partially bound rug and one larger rug hooked but not even started binding.  At least there aren't three piled up.

Rainy day with cooler temps here but at least no snow.  If only the weather was all the folks in Palestine, Ohio had to worry about.  God Bless them and hope the EPA, Buttigieg, and Norfolk Southern railroad do what they should to help these folks.  If the EPA and others say the water is fine I want to see every f'n one of them drink a glass from the spigot. 

Also I'm concerned the $1,000 they are offering the residents will disable their ability to sue if and when they all have cancer as that would be a sign of waiving their right to sue. 

 Need to take a deep breath now and go play with my rugs.

Saundra



11 comments:

  1. A lovely antique rug show. The first rug almost looks like a watercolor painting.
    I enlarged the photo and it looks like they have over dyed it with a coffee or walnut wash. I like that rug.

    I would be leery of drinking the water after the derailment too. After being fed so many lies, I wouldn't trust what the officials says either.

    The sun is shining again but a bit cold this morning. Enjoy your Saturday.
    Hugs,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your rug show. What nice rugs you find. Yes, I am pretty upset too about the things going on with this government and our own people. Poor, poor people in Ohio. We are having winter still. I think its nice. I am not ready for spring yet. I hope you have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...I can't believe how truly similar those first two are. You have a great eye for hunting out these rugs and recognizing patterns, etc. I find the Libby rug fascinating (besides being so artfully hooked). She must have been a particularly loved or otherwise special dog to be so memorialized. I can't believe you are so very close to being "rugless." I wasted 3 more days on the one I started at the workshop and I am thinking it is time to scrap it. Yes, the funk continues. ~Robin~ (TheCrankyCrow)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting to read about Libby. Have always loved houses which were outlined in red. That is a pretty big chicken rug....would take me forever so kudos to your customer. I forgot my blue wool at home so no hooking at the store today what so ever. UGH. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots of mats,,, fun chicken mat,,,,,, Hope u get UR linen soon,,,,
    We have a supplier near me in ontario,,,who ships to US,,,,
    Martina lesar rug hooking,,,,,she has great linen,,,,I know u always got Urs from same place,,,,,Hard to change,,,,,

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a very nice group of rugs. I find your shows quite inspiring. I totally agree with your concerns for the folks in Palestine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Colleen. Since you are a NO-REPLY blogger I'm unable to email you directly. Glad you enjoy my rug shows.

      Delete
  7. I love the primitive simplicity of the horse rug!
    My heart breaks for the people in East Palestine. Our government has totally abandoned them, and Mayor Pete is a disgrace to our country. Their lives will never be the same and good luck every selling property there. I guess the demographics don't check the right boxes to get the help they deserve. Our leaders need to go drink the water to show they believe it is safe. Yeah, right. Just pi**es me off.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I Love the rug with the house ....and the Whaling ship scene ....these are always fun to see !!!
    Those poor people in Ohio ....just disgraceful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow, finally I am able to comment! I have been so frustrated with blogspot or whatever the platform is. I signed up to receive your posts, Rugs and Pugs, Robin's Cranky Crow and haven't been getting any of them. When I did find one of your posts (or theirs) I couldn't comment! Grrr!!! I just wanted to say that you are the first blogger I have seen commenting about East Palestine and the terrible way those people have been treated. Telling them to go back to their homes and that the water is safe to drink? Unbelievable! They are paying thousands and thousands of dollars to house illegal immigrants but our people get told to go back to their contaminated homes. How can they live with themselves? Oh, and to blame it on Trump! That takes the cake. This administration is a joke. To be awarded jobs because you are a certain color or are gay or whatever and not because you are the best person for that job? The rest of the world must be watching in horror. We are supposed to be the greatest country on Earth, what has happened? Jan in MA

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and I always welcome comments.