Friday, February 3, 2023

AND THEN THERE WERE NONE??

 ...Flowers that is?  I have reverse hooked the last pinkish flower which  looks like a 4 leaf clover 3 times.  Almost reverse hooked it again before taking this photo.  But think the rug I have reached the point of no return.  Only going forward now to finish the background, border and calling it "FINI".
Looking at the rug and my flower color choices wish I'd stayed with the darker florals and not introduced the blue and pink.  But that ship sailed.  
Me thinks it will be quite a while before I tackle a floral again without adult teacher supervision 😔.  Seems color planning is not my strong suit.  

Today I called again, and unfortunately Dorr Mill Store still doesn't have the linen foundation I ordered ~ not even a 2 yard piece to draw a pattern for a customer.  So that pattern will be on hold for a bit longer I'm afraid.

Am torn between finally finishing hooking this floral or switching back to the Woman On Horseback.  But at least my focus is forward on the Forever Floral.

Remember I spoke of normal high January temperatures?  HA!  It is in the teens now, below normal and with wind chill.  Will definitely need to order a tank of propane on Monday which will add over $1,000 to this month's expenses but at least I have a roof over my head.   

Stay inside, keep warm and happy hooking.

Saundra


13 comments:

  1. Youzers on the propane. It is a balmy 4 degrees here right now. UGH I dont even want to see the gas bill for the house. The antique store bill is almost $500 this month. I am with you on the blue flowers, but like you would say fini and move on. Stay warm my friend. Spring is round the corner. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Saundra, it's absolutely BEAUTIFUL. I see absolutely nothing wrong with the blue flowers as you have used blue and used it sparingly throughout the rug and the last two flowers are perfect. Everything is well balanced. Creating a rug takes a lot of consideration and you did a fantastic job as usual as I knew you would.

    Bummer on the linen unavailability. I hope that you can find a reputable seller. Linen backing is so expensive here. It cost me $91.98 for 2 yards of linen backing. It's enough to deter someone to take up hooking. I still have some monk's cloth backing left but hate to use it for #5 or 6 as it's too hard on my hands.

    -29 ℃ and very windy this morning. -20.2 ℉. Ouch on the price of propane.

    Take care, stay warm, hugs.
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did put . 2 but the point is so close to the number 2 that I can't even see it.
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! So close to finishing both your hooked pieces.
    Color planning not your strong suit? You are usually spot on. You can't be perfect every time and me thinks you will learn to like the flower rug. Of course you are your own worst critic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is turning out beautifully.... You know me, I like the moody, dark, colors, but the blues and pinks give the piece an unexpected pop and makes it more authentically old-looking in my book. But, hey...none of my books will ever be published and there's a reason for that LOL. Stay warm. The only thing worse than filling a tank with propane is filling three...and another with fuel oil. 😳 Thankfully, the bitter cold has broken and our day-time highs will be above 0 for a bit. ~Robin~ (TheCrankyCrow)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes Monday we will have to call for heating oil but it did last us longer than I thought.
    I know the flower colors are outside your normal pallet but still so lovely.
    Stay warm we are. Beyond cold
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Its hard to see so much of our money going to heating when we would rather spend it on fiber goodies. :) Your work always looks nice. Don't be so hard on yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think your rug looks happy. It’s not your usual pallet but that doesn’t make it wrong ☺️. I feel your pain on heating prices.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Its a great mat,, love it!!
    We have propane too,,,, and its been so cold,,,, but this morning abit milder, ,, and next week, too,,,,
    Lighter in the mornings,,, too,,,
    Elaine😊😊

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hit a good sale with Martina Leasar’s linen last month! Love it. And I do like your rug… it’s not singing to you though? Maybe set it aside and you will change your mind? Heating oil is crazy!! I’m glad to be rid of our 1900 home though, we paid $950 for baseboard heating one December.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The freezing temps finally broke today , it is 47 here !!! This week will be in the 40's , YAY !!!!
    I think your rug looks pretty & antique .... subtle colors , maybe in person it is different , but reminds me of an old fashioned rug .
    Linen & wool prices have gone way up ! That takes the fun out of it ....
    I will learn how to make my piles of ugly wool work well . Friends will help my dye it !

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and I always welcome comments.