Sunday, April 23, 2023

ENJOY THE SHOW

Thankfully yesterday evening for a few hours we were graced with rain showers.  Not just 10 drops but a lovely few hours of steady rain, yet there's no lake out back as the earth soaked up what was given to it.  Now onto the show.

A rug hooked by Nancy Gertrude Scott, daughter of Barbara E. Merry.   It measures 31 x 37 and from the estate of Laura Fisher, NY.
A handsome tall ship and rowboat with dimensions of 22 x 37.  I've seen several great ship patterns and have been tempted to hook a few of those designs but not sure I could pull off the detail albeit primitive.  The sails and rigging look too complicated.  This rug below also gives great detail of the small boat, ocean and sky, which means with its size probably required a narrow cut ~ not my thing.  But a beauty of a rug.
I've had this rug below in my file since June 2022 and have passed it by numerous times, but not tonight.  The auction house named it Starry Night hearth rug.  Hooked circa 1830 and sold for $7,500.  It was said to be an indigo blue background.  I understand indigo blue is a difficult color to achieve when dying, and if done the original way has a putrid smell.  Has anyone out there dyed indigo blue?
Below is a shield shaped floral from the collection of Jean-Marc and Danielle Belzile.  Perhaps this and a couple other rugs I've recently found will be familiar to my Canadian friends.
Given credit to the Lancaster Mennonite community is this Rabbits rug.  It measures 22 x 32.5  and said to be hooked 1900.   
I know people used what textile resources they had available and wanted to put some creativity into their work.  But that background does not speak to me.  A reclining Dog measuring 32 x 46.5 dated 1902.  Now, the shape of the dog with a different background would work for me.
Sheep and 2 Rams 19 x 31 hooked by Mme Jeanne d'arc Gaudette which may also be familiar to you Canadian rug hookers.
A landscape measuring 30 x 54 dated around 1920 and is hooked in a Waldoboro style.  
In the photo below you can see the sculpted areas known as the Waldoboro style.  Loops are pulled up higher and then trimmed to give it the shape you desire.  There are books on Amazon which can teach you to do this technique.
Who doesn't want good luck?  Here's a good luck hooked rug measuring 41 x 44 dated late 19th century.  There are several un-scientific theories on why horseshoes are considered good luck ~ google it.
Dog and Cat in Basket measures 50.5 x 61.5 and hooked 1920's.   
A view of the back of the rug and the foundation looks rather flimsy to me yet it is not showing signs of wear.
Hmmm, now for a horse.  Bet I can find one or more somewhere.  This is a Hutchinson design ~  First in the Hearts of his Countrymen General George Washington.  A patriotic rug with a horse.
There is a Star rug beckoning me to bind it.  Me thinks tomorrow I'll start working an hour a day to work on that task.  Happy hooking, knitting, stitching, or whatever floats your boat ~ the day is yours to enjoy the happiest way you choose.  

Saundra



  

6 comments:

  1. I hope you get a little bit more rain to quench the earth.
    Thanks for the lovely rug show. There are quite a few nice rugs but that dog gets me a bit dizzy and the date is upside down for some reason. Too many colors in the background, It doesn't turn my crank. I love the tall ship and the George Washington rug.

    The Waldoboro is actually quite nice but I would chose totally different colors. I've never been tempted to try that technique yet.
    Hope I can do a little bit of clean up in the yard this week.

    I decided to use a #4 cut for my new rug and I find it more difficult to pull loops through the Monk's Cloth. Wish I had used a size 3 again.

    Hugs,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  2. It started pouring rain Saturday night and all day long yesterday , we got about 4" !!! Everything grew so much and leaves are all beginning to grow ....amazing how that rain just made things burst !
    What a great rug show ! I like the Starry night and Good Luck is really cute . The tall ship is neat , but I think that would be very challenging to do too !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! What a great show,,,Sweet mats and love the one by Barbara merry daughter,,!!! Cooler again here and snow in air this morning,,,,!!!
    Take care,,,,,

    ReplyDelete
  4. The background on Reclining Dog makes me head spin ;-(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its been raining for days here. Duck weather for sure. I did not see the dog at first with that busy background. Love the General Washington one! Janice

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am truly surprised you aren't inclined to hook the George Washington rug - a horse and patriotic - a perfect combination of two of your loves. I had to laugh at the dog and the cat in the basket - they look royally pissed off LOL. I kinda like the Starry Night rug and the 2 sheep and a ram one. ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and I always welcome comments.