Saturday, April 15, 2023

MISC. RUG HOOKING CHAT

Carol Orlove just sent me a photo of her finished Domestic Zoo, even the bound edge was done.  This was completed in record time as the delivery date of her pattern wasn't to be until March 1st and Carol sent me the photo on April 13th. 

Well done Carol and thanks for sending me the photo; what's on your frame next?  
Below is a horse rug I recently found on an auction site.  I don't think it is an antique in spite of and because of the dramatic color changes.  Yeah I know antique rugs do have odd colors hooked in animals and I have hooked some.  But think this may have been someone's personal challenge of using values.
Let me show you other examples of using value because it was the 'new thing' as a challenge for some hookers.  Here is a horse rug being hooked using values in 2009 by Pat M.  It is representative of her  granddaughter's Appaloosa.  Wish I had a completed photo of it.
This is a face purse hooked in values by friend Deb.  She hooked many of these over the years and colors may change according to the values in her stash.
I wouldn't be able to pull off hooking a project using the values theory.  My wool would have to be more close to a natural color of the subject matter.  Yet I've heard rug teachers say, "color gets all the credit but value does all the work".  Think about that for a minute and it is true.

Happy hooking and think I'll go back to working on my horse.

Saundra



7 comments:

  1. Wow that is record time she is as fast as you are! I likpe the look of the values but I could never do it I would make a royal mess
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow ! What a speedy hooker Carol is ! She did a beautiful job !!!
    " Color does all the credit but value does all the work " think that is very true , but not sure if I understand it ...l looked it up have to study that

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantastic job on this Domestic Zoo rug and so quick. I'm amazed at the speed. The colors are perfect.

    I've never tried hooking with values. I may try it at some point but for now, I'm content of hooking with colors.
    Hugs,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wowza...Carol is wicked fast. And a wonderful finish it is! I'm not necessarily fond of the value thing...but, to each their own. I'd be happy to just...um, hook? I've gotten a little more done, but sidetracked on a small stitched small....and took some time to try to get a few things done outside before the snow moves in tomorrow night. ~Robin~ (TheCrankyCrow)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow,, that mat from carol,,, looks amazing,,,
    Just enjoying some last days of heat,,,,
    Elaine😊😊

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carol is one fast hooker and Domestic Zoo looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow that is some fast hooking! Great job Carol! Not a fan of color value. Not even the horses. Janice

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and I always welcome comments.