Thursday, April 20, 2023

IN THE YARD

It's probably still a bit early but I put one hummingbird feeder out with a little nectar.  Once I see activity I'll put a second feeder out and constantly maintain a good level of nectar in them.  Looks like the metal  support needs straightening.  The right of the deck is where my pond used to be.  
At 5 p.m. yesterday in the kitchen fixing a salad I noticed a recumbent deer watching another deer graze on fresh tender leaves of trees.  I briefly thought of taking a photo from the window but screens interfere with the quality plus I was enjoying looking at them.  The deer were visible for over half an hour and are always welcome.

Last year don't believe I saw even one deer in my yard any time of the day.  The neighbor, who has since moved, had 3 dogs which constantly barked when they were outside.  Am sure they were responsible for no visiting deer.  This is the area where the one deer reclined and you can see hoof prints from when it stood back up ~ the dark divots in the ground.
After they left, since it is so dry I put a bucket of water out for the deer near the opening in the woods and near where the deer was resting.
Expecting another rollercoaster weather pattern for Delaware.  Today is supposed to reach the low 80's, tomorrow warmer.  But from the weekend thru all next week it will be much cooler and the weatherman said a potential chance for turbulent weather when the cold front comes thru.  The folks in Bridgeville and Greenwood are still cleaning up from the last tornado which touched down.  He also said next Monday or Tuesday we could have a frost warning.  I'll be sure to have the ingredients for that delicious hearty soup with pearl couscous, I've more of that couscous left.

Saundra



9 comments:

  1. Hope the Deer visit and enjoy the water you left for them .
    Crazy weather ....hope we don't get frost , it will affect so many plants ...everything is looking good as it pokes thru the earth.
    The tornados are causing so much damage , those poor people .
    Soup for the chilly days ahead sounds like a very good idea !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rollercoaster weather hear too. No deer here, but do enjoy seeing them when I am at my moms...especially the fawns, Janice

    ReplyDelete
  3. The deers have been so destructive in our area. They ate all my tomatoes as soon as the green tomatoes were the size of a marble last fall. Out of 30 plants, I harvested 12 tomatoes. They also ate tons of my perannials. Me no longer want them in my yard. They are already eating anything that pokes from the ground, especially my tulips. They probably have increased in number this year since there are no dogs in our neighbourhood or no natural enemies. I have no objection when people feed them, as long as they leave my gardens alone. I know, they are such beautiful creatures, but, but...

    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am with Julia on the deer problem and I am a city dweller! Nothing but giant rats as far as I am concerned. Not sure if it's the deer or rabbits, but my perennials are being destroyed already. It has never been this bad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Crazy weather all over I think - after snow yesterday, we had 3" of rain overnight/today...then back to snow tomorrow/Saturday. I think deer are beautiful creatures but, nope, don't "indulge" them. They are already encroaching into the yard...along with the rabbits, squirrels, and turkeys and if plant ever do come up, I fear they won't stand a chance. Oh I miss you Snowdog. ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is roller coaster weather! Hopefully if you get weather there will be some moisture with it! We like seeing the deer ๐ŸฆŒ too until I see them in my garden helping themselves ๐Ÿฅด
    Lady Locust

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are experiencing the same crazy roller coaster weather. I am happy to hear deer have returned to your yard. It was so sweet of you to put water out for them :). Enjoy the day. Doreen

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have been quite cold this week and now the weekend is going to be wet and windy. We do need the rain. I do not want the deer they go through my Hosta like a lawnmower. I do not fee the hummingbirds either I battled ants for several years to feed them and then the bears got the better part of it so I gave up.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Our hummingbird dont come till around mothers day,,,
    So have to wait,,,
    Rain is greening things up,, thiugh chilly, ,,,
    Snow gone,, hope nomore,,,,
    Elaine๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜Š

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and I always welcome comments.