Sunday, April 30, 2023

LAST RUG SHOW of APRIL

Can't believe the month of April went by so quickly.  For sure this area received all of April's showers in the last 3 days and the ground feels like a sponge when walking on it.  Anyway, onto the show...

Recumbent Dog measuring 25.5 x 38 hooked 19th century.
A horse with decorative border dated1890-1920.
Just a sweet cat with blue circles; no date or dimensions.
A geometric with a size of 24 x 42 dated 1880-1920.
A Frost sheep design measuring 29 x 48 and dated what appears to be 1890.  Some of the scrolls have drastic color changes.  
The above Frost design is interesting because when I hooked my Frost Sheep and scrolls with Barb Carroll she told me that years ago scrolls were hooked with changes of color around the scrolls.  And now found one like she was referring to.  Below is my  hooked rug color planned by the Queen herself, Barb Carroll.
An apple a day...well you know the rhyme.  Three apples said to be hooked early 19th century.
Identified with name of A Rice, circa 1850-75 is a wool stitched mat on linen piece measuring 13 x 14.  I found this incredibly interesting as who would have 'lawn ornaments' of cannons on the front yard, lol.  Obviously someone who would stitch what they knew.  I enlarged it so you can see the stitches better.
Call me crazy but I really find the rug below interesting too, maybe it's the colors or the rug hooker's thought process for placement of motifs?  Dunno, I just find it interesting.   An abstract rug dated early 20th century measures 31.5 x 39.5.
And I'll end with this box turtle mat measuring 10 x 12 to commemorate the first sighting of one of my returning box turtles which I saw today.  No date on the mat so don't know if it is really an antique.
I've only the hand stitching of the cotton binding to do on my Stars rug and there will be none on the pile when my horse rug is all hooked.  But that won't be happening any time real soon.

Happy hooking and don't know about you but I'm looking forward to a sunny day with closer to normal temperatures. Rain still coming down on this Sunday evening.

Saundra
www.woodlandjunctionprimitives.weebly.com



                       


7 comments:

  1. Thanks for the rug show again. I You did a much better job on those scrolls and the sheep than the original rug. Scrolls is something I haven't hooked yet. They look a bit tricky to get them just right.

    You are so dedicated to bring us a rug show every week. I wonder how many hours you spend looking for those antique rugs. I know you have some on memory sticks but still, it must be a lot of hours in total.

    We are supposed to get rain for most of the week so I may have to work indoors. I hope the sun comes out for you to dry things up.
    Hugs,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. That antique Frost Sheep rug is butt ugly!!! Yours...not ugly at all ;-)
    I'm not sure I'd know how to act if we had an entire day of sunshine. The 10 day forecast is rather unpleasant here in northern Ohio.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in love with your Frost sheep rug every time I see it. Like Lauren, I'm not sure I will recognize the sun if I saw it. Can't remember when we last had sun?? The past two days have been horribly windy and spitting snow. So very depressing. But Happy May to you MD.... ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sun...what is the sun. Been raining since Thursday. UGH Spongy is the correct word for sure. Loving your rug show. Your Frost rug is much better. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots of rain here too,,,, yikes!
    Great rug show,,,
    Love the hit and miss one too,,,,
    And the sheep!
    Elaine😊😊

    ReplyDelete
  6. love them all, but oh, those sheep!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very , very soggy here too ....and cool . Next week is suppose to be nice , I sure hope so .
    Rug shows are always fun to see ....love the funny comments about the ugly antique sheep rug....your is a Beauty !!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and I always welcome comments.