Wednesday, April 10, 2024

BINDING STAR and HEARTS

A few weeks ago I showed you some red striped fabric being auditioned for binding the antique adaptation.  The bright reds and white just didn't suit me so went for the darker red and cream stripe on the shelf.
I ripped 4 1/2 inch strips, sewed them together folded in half, ironed them then did a 1/4 inch stitch down the length.
Next task was to hand stitch it close to the last row of hooking.  If I'd planned in advance I would have machine stitched along the edge before hooking to make life easier.  Guess I was in a hurry to start hooking the rug and lost focus.
Below you can see what the edge will look like when on the floor, table or chest.  I didn't want a whipped edge as I wanted the authenticity of the antique to show and the rows were hooked to the edge.
This is what the back will look like.  But it will need the other edge attached, a final pressing before it is completed...oh, and have the label attached.
In case you'd like to see the original antique here it is below.  Star hearts, an Amish hooked rug and collection of Penny Young dated 1920-30.
Weather was quite mild today but since I live under a rain cloud there will be more rain tomorrow.  Am sure I'll find something to entertain myself tho.  Happy hooking.

Saundra



7 comments:

  1. Another great job on finishing this antique adaption. I agree, the darker fabric is the right choice for the binding.
    It's been another gorgeous day today and I did a little cleaning of dead Peony branches as the shoots are starting to grow and picked a ton of broken branches Maple tree branches on my lawn. I realized that I'm out of shape. I didn't work for long before my legs got tired for the constant up and down movement.

    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful binding ~ loving the stripes too!
    Lori from NFF

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your binding will look so pretty !!! More rain for us too ....UGH

    ReplyDelete
  4. When you first mentioned doing that striped binding I couldn't visualize it at all...but, like always, your choice is perfect. So, do you sew on each side separately? ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
  5. The striping is good. You could have coffee stained the brighter color for future reference. I do that with most of my fabric pieces. Janice

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and I always welcome comments.