Monday, April 22, 2024

TIPS TEACHERS TAUGHT US

The other day I emailed follower/reader Denise and asked if there was something she'd like me to blog about.  As any of you who have a blog know, sometimes we (or at least I) struggle to come up with a topic which might interest readers.  Her question was "wondering what was the best tip learned from a class or teacher".  

A comment from Julia made a perfect and classic example of 'must do' ~  Use a good linen foundation and not cheap brittle burlap for your rug hooking.  Must admit that when I was teaching myself and practicing that is what I used because it was affordable and could be a 'throw away'.  But when I got seriously hooking that was the lesson taught me also and is what I use.

Continuing with Denise's email, she said she was struggling with a random background.  When hooking a large background we all get bored!  I'm speaking for myself here but know someone (UH, that would be my friend Lauren) who finds it a soothing task.

When I first started hooking think I just followed the outline of the main motif's (the ripple effect) until the lines eventually connected and then filled in.  But attending an early rug camp my teacher Bev Conway suggested drawing, then hooking, S's in the background, hooking the S, hooking around the S, moving onto the next and as each S is hooked around they eventually meet up.  

This Rottweiler Memorial wasn't hooked in her class but I used her technique.  You can see the S or C movement throughout the background and I used two values of the same color wool.
Another teacher Lisanne Miller suggests the puzzle piece style.  I tried it on my eagle rug but didn't do her technique justice as I didn't draw the small areas on the background, I just hooked random spots using dark and different wools.  It is a primitive after all.
 
Reader Nancy commented on my last blog post that her teacher suggested adding small bits of color or different value here and there for interest.  

Robin mentioned using 'ugly wool because ya just never know when that ugly will look wonderful in a rug'.

Barb Carroll made a similar comment in class.  Barb's was more of a color contrast which she called 'poison' as a random out-of-place hooked piece of wool.  After all, they used what they had back in the day.  An example of Barb's teaching is in this Westmoreland Ponies pattern designed by her and I hooked it in a class with Barb 2012.  Click on the photo below and look closely.  You can see the odd yellow green strips, random plaids and even a lighter color in the background.  All of which provides interest and makes the eye move around the rug.  AND, makes it more fun for the hooker.
Westmoreland Ponies is a free pattern in a previous issue of RHM but can't recall which year but maybe around 2011 or 2012.

Please don't hesitate to email me a question or an idea you'd like to see on my blog.  Happy hooking.

Saundra



8 comments:

  1. All great tips and as I've never had a class I appreciate this post. I've gleaned most of my info from the net and wonderful hookers such as yourself who share. Thank you oh and your Rottweilers are amazing. I admire realism but the primitives have my heart. Have a great day. Betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I do enjoy hooking background...to a point. Sometimes, I, too, get sick it!!!
    I absolutely love your blotchy background on the 1776 Eagles.
    For me, linen is the only backing I will use.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have also learned so many helpful tips from following your blog. Your rug shows are always interesting to see how the hookers made do with fabric they had ...using stockings , lace , calicos, and those famous ugly wools .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tips! I also like doing the puzzle effect for a more prim look, but like the S and C's you suggested too. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  5. Having never had an actual "class," I too try to glean tips here and there from pro's like you (and GT, Julia, etc.) but one of the greatest tips I've ever received was "It's yours...there's no right or wrong, do what makes you happy." And the other was that perfectionism is overrated..."done," however, is always good. I stink at following good advice though. ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't mind background but having this new teacher Michelle I have learned so much from her. She breaks all the things I have been told over the years. That is one of the best things about her.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know that you don't consider yourself a teacher, but Saundra, you are always so generous with sharing your knowledge. I have learned that the mark of a good teacher is their share freely their knowledge rather than keeping it selfishly for themselves.

    Since you asked for tips that we learned, here's another one. When using white in your rugs, choose an off white or dirty white. It's easier on the eyes and looks better. ( I can't remember the exact words, but it was something to that effect.)
    I love the s and c technique and I've used it in some of my rugs. You did a beautiful job on the Rottweilers and the background is also beautiful.

    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Always learn something from you,Saundra,,,,
    And UR readers,,,

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and I always welcome comments.