Wednesday, April 17, 2024

RUG SHOW OF OLDIES

I love this rug of fishermen and wish I knew more about it.  All I know is that it's Canadian.
The next photo provided on the site was the back of the rug with this name.  If anyone knows something about this please let me know.
An attractive geometric was listed for $5,400 on Charish.  It measures 24 x 48 and dated between 1920-30.
Here is a closer view of the textiles.
Saw this wonderful Canadian hooked rug of a full moon and fox somewhere during my searches but don't have date or dimensions.  This would be an awesome rug to hook if I'd not already started the 1922 Fox adaptation.
A red house and yellow bird; also appears to have two sliver moons in the background.  Seems to have the appearance of a split screen of night/day and perhaps that's why the two moons.
This bird on branch and 2 baby birds is rather understated with the colors.  I think someone with more color imagination than me could make this into a beauty.   
Found this cat rug this morning and said to be hooked between 1880-1920.  Colors are still vivid and of course it has been well preserved since it's on a frame and not walked on.
This airplane themed rug was hooked early 20th century and I wonder if it was done for a child's room or an adult who had an affinity for flying?  
The wood horse carved box (1840-1900) could be an inspiration for a hooked rug or applique piece.
I love this antique hooked rug below.  Don't know the exact age or dimensions but do know it is old.  Whoever hooked it did a fantastic job on the eye of the horse as if it was running away in fear.
Some ideas for you to use up your leftover strips.  A sweet 15" round pad and how it was covered in the back.

A geometric in block form .
Probably from the same hooker here is a hit and miss idea for using up strips and measures 17 x 28.
As you are aware, Maud Lewis' paintings have been adapted to hooked designs.  Here are three of her paintings which were recently sold and I've got the sale prices.  The deer scene 12 x 14 on masonite sold for $22,240.
The covered bridge painting sold for $25,960 and measures 12 x 16.
Maud Lewis cow 12 x 14 sold for $30,680.
Still haven't decided on what to hook next but each time I post about geometric hit and miss a brief thought of doing that floats in my mind.  Happy hooking.

Saundra


6 comments:

  1. The kitties and the running horse are my favorites this go-round. I'm truly surprised you don't have another rug lurking in the wings by this point. So not like you LOL. ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew Maud Lewis paintings were pricey, but WOW!
    Love that wood carved box!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see the possibilities of hooking the bird mat. The rugs that seem to hold stories are especially fascinating to me. Wow! Thank you for a brilliant show! Kimm

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have hooked a few of maud Lewis mats,,sold them all,,they are so Sweet!
    The mats are all interesting,,,,,

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maude Lewis paintings are beautiful ...Love the one with the covered bridge . My brother lives near a beautiful covered bridge in VT ....they would Love that hooked ...always enjoy your rug shows !

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that fishermen one. I wonder if it may be from Newfoundland as the landscape looks rugged.
    I always enjoy seeing Maude Lewis's paintings. Wow on the prices of those paintings.

    Thanks for the great rug show.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and I always welcome comments.