Saturday, January 18, 2014

Something Old Something New

Actually I'll start with what will be the something new project just as soon as this commission piece is hooked and shipped (hopefully Monday).   I've already designed my rug but will debut it when I get a little more hooked on it after Monday as responsibilities come first.  However, my piece is adapted from an antique rug made by Harriet Powers.  So Far I've only been able to locate 2 quilts made by her.  This one is known as the Bible Quilt and was said to be made by her in 1886.  I'll provide more information on this talented woman when I post a picture of my rug.
Another quilt made by Harriet Powers is this one below.  Hope I've piqued your interest but bear with me while I finish the commission.
Now onto the something old.  Nope, haven't accomplished much on this one either and this is what the rug looks like now. The binding part can wait but want to get the hooking finished so that I can work on the Harriet project.
As you can see from the picture above, the Santa and Deer adaptation measures 23 x 25 1/2; it is hooked mostly in #8.5 strips but for the border was using #9.  Have a great evening everyone.

Saundra

5 comments:

  1. you are always so busy.
    cant wait to see the something new.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have definitely piqued my interest with what you might be doing with the Harriet Powers designs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your Santa & deer background wool. Can you show the uncut wool please? I went to y
    our older posts but wasn't sure if one of the wools you showed is what you used. I can't visualize how wool will hook.
    Hugs :)
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  4. You tease you ...

    Your Santa and deer is really turning out nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How exciting to have a rug commission - I know it's going to be wonderful and I can't wait to catch the first glimpse of it. I love how rug hooking & quilting are so compatible - designs are easily adapted from one to the other.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and I always welcome comments.