Sunday, December 31, 2017

End of Year Binding Progress Report

Don't think I'll stay up past midnight to finish binding the last two rugs of 2017.  Have been working on both simultaneously so neither is totally finished and probably won't be until sometime tomorrow.

Was asked how I bind my rugs ~ answer is many different ways depending on the look I want.  Here are a few ways I've bound rugs:

  • wool yarn whipped over cording
  • wool fabric over cording and continued on back as binding
  • Wool strip bound edge
  • cotton binding tape
  • twill or cotton fabric binding
  • Betsy Reed primitive binding

Here is a picture of the Birthday Lion being bound.  The linen has been serged at the edge to protect from ravel and was cut away at about 1" away from the last row of hooking as cotton binding tape is only 1 1/4" wide.  Then wool yarn is gently stitched from the outer edge to the edge of binding tape.
That process continues all around the rug while easing gently at the corners and doing a miter edge.
In the photo below you can see it is pinned as I go and the corners have been mitered.  There's still one side to attach with yarn at the edge before stitching down the inside.
Sometimes I don't want the added color or texture change beyond the last loop pulled.  So the Primitive Horse rug I didn't want wool whipped edge, crochet edge or braided edge either.  This is to be a primitive rug so used wool I'd dyed in a black walnut bath some months ago.  Wanted it to look like it had a faded and scuffed edge from wear ~ it's an antique replication.

While purging my cottons I found this perfect match so cut strips wide enough to double.  Sewed the raw edges together first then stitched close to the last row of hooking.  Sure would have been easier to do if I'd sewn it on before hooking.
In the photo below you can see how well the colors match the wool in the rug.  Since this is cotton fabric doubled believe it is at least as strong as the woven cotton binding used on the Birthday Lion.  Plus, this binding is a tad wider so protects more of the foundation's edge.
Hope everyone has heat as it is frigid.  I tried to go for a walk and don't think I walked 1/4 mile before turning around...my fingers and face frozen.  No way anyone could pay me to go for the Ball Drop in NYC tonight.  Not only the frigid temps would keep me away but also the dangerous times we are being exposed to.

Stay safe, don't drink and drive and be aware of your surroundings.

Saundra

7 comments:

  1. Fabulous! (Thank you:-). I think most of what I've seen is the yarn and cord which creates an outline effect. I think I like the doubled cotton - being a quilter, I have nearly as much as you do wool. Have a very Happy New Year!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tips for finishing!
    I will press a mat today, I just finished last nite,,, I just press back with iron, as it will go on wall,,
    But my mats for floor always have a whipped or crocheted edge,,,,
    Happy new year,, wow 2018,,, amazing,,, have a great new years day,, ready to do more finishingnof rugs I started last year!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year to you too !!! Great tips ! Hope the deep freeze ends soon !!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Saundra,
    Thanks for sharing your binding techniques! Always so good to see pictures along with the descriptions!! So sorry for all of you who are dealing with these frigid temperatures!! We are chilly in the morning, but then it is actually warming up to the low 70's today!!
    Wish I could send you some of our sunshine!!
    Thank you for your many visits and comments to my blog this past year and for your friendship!!
    Take care, stay warm, and have a Happy New Year!!
    Heart Hugs~
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. You will be finished with the binding tout de suite and starting a new project soon.
    Happy New Year.
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy New Year Saundra. Wishing you all the best for 2018. Try to rest that hook before you wear it out.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and I always welcome comments.