Tuesday, July 13, 2021

More of the ER Saga (purging)

So guess you are wondering ~ was the wrist/hand fractured???  First, lets back up to Saturday when I spent 5 hours in the ER and dependent on further developments and follow up with my primary care doctor.  It was 6:30 p.m. Saturday evening when I returned home with the mild swelling and seemingly controlled pain with Tylenol. 

NOTE:  you might get bored so I won't be upset if you don't finish the read.

Sunday I vacillated between heat (for arthritis pain) and cold for swelling while taking another Tylenol.  Went to bed and had a painful night.

Monday morning I called my primary physician for an appointment as instructed by the ER.  The facility she works is at the Mears Center which is part of the Tidal Health Care hospital system I visited at the ER.  Actually, Mears center also has an X-ray unit where I get mammograms and other x-rays.  

My appointment was at 1:30 and she arrived in the room about 2 p.m.  She didn't sit but asked what my problem was.  I explained the results of the previous Saturday x-rays, doctor's statement about fracture might not show for a few days and told her I now thought at the very least I had CELLULITIS.  I'd had cellulitis BEFORE so knew the signs.  

Actually I was hooking Nantucket Broom Ride when I had it before.  You can read about the cellulitis story and how Barb Carroll played a part of my dilemma at the link above.
My primary DR. told me she didn't think it looked like cellulitis (it was red, swollen and warm to the touch), that I should go back to the ER and have another X-ray to see if it was a fracture.  I asked if I needed a referral and she said there was nothing she could do for me.  This was 2 p.m. in the afternoon, the Mears facility HAS X-ray capabilities which would be cheaper than the wait and expense of a hospital ER.  But, I was sent on my way so checked into the ER yesterday, Monday afternoon at 2:30 p.m. and left at 7:30 p.m 6 hours later. GOD only knows what my bills will look like.

Results after a CT scan was no fracture, but did have CELLULITIS!!!!  Bingo!!!!    I was given a script for Cephalgin and have had 3 pills so far with 9 more days to go.  Already the pain has started to subside, fingers are moving better (not not perfect) and swelling down only a little.  After this post and dinner I'll put ice back on my hand.  

A little side story....... My primary care doctor gave birth to a child over a year ago and has been working 3 days per week so I got lucky with Monday.  I believe those are also half days.  Which means my appointment was at the end of her Monday shift and she wanted to go home ~ that's why "she couldn't do anything for me"..... because she didn't WANT to do anything for me; she wanted to be home.  

Me thinks me needs to find another primary care physician who wants to work.  

Sorry for the boring post and because I wanted to get at least a blog post done today since I'm lagging and check for inconsistencies later.  I just want a sorta normal evening home tonight and see IF,....IF I can pull a loop?????

Saundra


11 comments:

  1. Glad you now are having some relief. I agree with you on a new primary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad your wrist isn't broken but your own diagnosis was spot on. I've never had cellulitis and wouldn't know the symptoms.

    All I know is that I've been suffering with such excruciating rotator cuff pain in my shoulders and had difficulty buckling myself in the car. My husband wanted me to visit a family friend husband who is an orthopedic surgeon and I cringed at the thought of being incapacitated for any length of time so I tried eating raw ginger every day and in no time the pain was all gone. Now I need to do some physio to increase the strength in my shoulder. I can do that.

    I hope that you feel your normal self soon.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never heard of cellulitis,,,,!!!
    Wow,,,,Glad you are getting some relief!,,!what a time!!!
    Elaine🏡🏡🏡🏡

    ReplyDelete
  4. How frustrating!! Maybe you should have been a Doctor??
    Seriously, hope you are having relief & feeling better & able to hook!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Primary cares are hard to get at least good ones are. And when you get a good one they leave the practice you are with. Glad you are getting some relief
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  6. So frustrating for you. But I'm glad you're on the mend. Luckily, i have a Dr who sits down, asks how my summer is going, vacation chit chat. Then asks about medical issues. Then ends the visit, with, "any other concerns?" . I like him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness Saundra ! What an ordeal you have been thru ! Hope by now you can pull a few loops.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is frustrating that we have to be so aggressive in our own health care these days especially since there has been no decline in the compensation end of things. Perhaps it was always that way and I just was too trusting to question things?? nah...not gonna convince me of that. After the PCP I had for years retired, I went to the one referred to me and eventually bit the bullet and cut the cord after a few years of frustration. I found another (I have limited choices as my insurance requires care be thru the approved network...which is ONE medical center which loses physicians faster than a cat lapping chain lightning. I have been happy with him for the few times I've seen him, but found out today he, too, is leaving. What the heck?! He spent so much time today, I was impressed. It was like he wanted to make sure he had done everything possible before leaving. And gee...I didn't even have to wait. Anywho...glad you are getting some relief and hope it continues to improve. And every time I see Nantucket Broom Ride, I love it more....but no more whales until The Beast is finish/finished. ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad you found out what was the problem. Isn't that the problem now? No one wants to work? It drives me crazy.
    I hope you are completely well by the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yep time to find a new doctor. So glad it is not fractured. Heal soon. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well that stunk!! You need a new PCP for sure.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and I always welcome comments.