Friday, September 22, 2023

CLASS WITH CAROLINE

Thought you'd enjoy reading a few things I learned from Caroline in her class.  They really weren't 'secrets' and we weren't told to not share with anyone.   Just simple things anyone could have discovered on their own or maybe even know already.  But first, here is an update on Lollipop Flowers.
Since that photo I've pulled a few more loops.  Then thought I'd boxed  myself in a corner as I continued to hook gold wool toward the top left side flower.  What threw me off was referring to the photo of the original antique which you can see below.  I see that gold color on the original so continued hooking gold across the top.

But, if you look at my hooked version and look carefully, which I didn't do until I was stumped, that area on my rug is hooked in black on MY rug.  DUH.  So there was reverse hooking and now am back on track. 
Now to things I learned or came to understand ~ Caroline said if you hook in one direction on a motif, border, etc. will lean one way.  But if you hook one direction, change direction with the next row, etc., the motif will stand up straight as one row supports the other.  I drew out what I meant below using a penny circle as the example.
I probably did that anyway since I am right handed and prefer to hook to the right of the previous row.  But wasn't aware it was helping to make the area stand up and support each row.  Now I'm cognizant of the theory so will be more aware and vigilant.  Not saying that will be protocol all the time, will just be more aware.

When Caroline was showing us her rugs and using them as lessons I noticed all of her corners were nicely and gently rounded so asked her how she controls the corners.
She places a quarter in the corner and hooks around that slight curve instead of making a sharp corner.  You can see the drawn area in red above the quarter.  Just that little bit of difference does the trick.  So it will not only make hooking a simple task but particularly make the binding less stressful ~ if that's possible for me.

Caroline also showed us wool we shouldn't pass up as they have multiple possibilities and shared with us how.  Interesting as I've passed up many of those wools in either Betsy's or Rebecca's offerings and wish I could get them now that I know their versatility. 

A little over a month from now I'll see Caroline again and need to decide what to hook at camp.  Which means another antique rug search will be taking place and I'll bore you eventually.  Am also hoping to have Lollipop bound by then...maybe.

Looks like Ophelia might turn into a hurricane force to deal with.  At least Lee stayed his distance during Cape May camp but high winds and wind forced rain is coming tonight and into tomorrow along the east coast.  Prediction is anywhere from 2" to 4" of rain so most likely the lake out back will return.  But at least I'm home and happily hooking with light unless the power goes out.

Happy hooking everyone..

Saundra



7 comments:

  1. Great idea with the quarter and the directional hooking. Sorry you are getting the storm I think us in the northern part of the state will not get it. Fingers crossed for power
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well well well...I must say I simply love your rug way much more than the antique. Do I see another rug in my future from a pattern of yours. wink wink. Good advice on the quarter and rows. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like Janice, I definitely prefer your color wave so much over the original. I would likely not have looked twice at the original to be honest...but yours, yikes, is all kinds of temptingly beautiful. Thanks for the tips. I did not know that about the motif directional hooking but it makes sense. Hope I remember that when my prodigal hooking mojo decides to return. But I am still "processing" the rounded corner thing... Me, I try to make my corners perfectly square??? Guess I have been doing things wrong all along. Stay safe in the storm...that be a lot of rain. I think we are to finally get a little tomorrow...but, like I said, a "little." ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loving your Lollipop Flowers!!!
    I think Caroline has mentioned the rounded corners with a quarter in every class I have taken with her, but don't often do it.
    So happy you enjoyed your class and that you are looking forward to the next!
    My corner of Ohio sure could use some rain. We have had none in a couple of weeks and none in the forecast.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love UR mat,,,so much,
    Stay safe,,,Yikes,,

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the tips. It's generous of your teacher to allow you to share her tips.
    It's a mark of good teacher. She want to share her knowledge. I think she's a wonderful teacher.

    Your Lollipop Flowers is beautiful.
    I hope that you'll be spared in the storm.
    Stay safe and well.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  7. I Love your Lollypop rug and your colors are much nicer than the antique . The quarter trick is a good tip to remember & the direction you hook your motifs , never knew that either !
    Great you can take another class with this Gal again soon !
    Hope you are safe and sound with all the rain ....it was suppose to rain here today , but was just cloudy with a few sprinkles , but it's chilly ! Had to get out the warm cozy clothes ! What a switch !
    Take care

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and I always welcome comments.