Saturday, September 30, 2023

SOME OLD RUGS

Seems a while since I posted an antique rug show so here I go ~ a basket of flowers with interlocking chain border.  Shame it is so damaged as it certainly is a beauty.
Here is a view of the back and you can see it had been folded over and hooked thru all layers to do an immediate protection of raw edges.
This primitive geometric I find quite attractive, probably because of the colors.  Hooked 19th century according to the auction house.
Everyone probably remembers the Dancing Rabbits hook along.  In those posts I showed you the old versions but this is the first time seeing this old image of the rug.
Think this is the first Dalmation I've seen hooked too.
For the feline folks here's a cat which doesn't seem to be much of a  mouser.
A deer and fawn said to be pre 1900.
The person who hooked the geometric below made her own fabric design.   She took flat colors, hooked lines and balanced her values to make it more creative and interesting.   
A giant flower circa 1845.  Decided to not hook it my next class with Caroline since I'm still working on a floral.  But it is a lovely design.
Horse and foal hooked early 20th century.
Another horse in an oval center and sawtooth border.
Two horseshoe themed rugs but this first one appears to have hand prints on each side.

The last rug is a show stopper.  Seabury Bed Rug dated 1819 and measures 93 x 101.
Happy weekend and happy hooking.  

Saundra



8 comments:

  1. Oh My! Who ever created this beautiful Seabury bed rug was an amazing artist. The colors are so rich and so well balances. I love the color combination they used and I love how they outlined the design with lighter color to make them pop gently. I really love this beautiful rug. It must be worth a lot of money today.

    Too bad about the damage on the first rug. It's also a beautiful one.
    Thanks for another lovely rug show.
    Enjoy the weekend. Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW did not know there were more rabbits in the dancing rabbit rug. Love the foal and mare one. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  3. As always,,interesting mats,,,
    Love them,,,

    ReplyDelete
  4. That last one is a show stopper! can you imagine sleeping under that on a cold snowy winter? Perfect and heavy no need for weighted blankets.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow ...Love the colors of the last rug ! I can't imagine hooking this to sleep under !!! Yikes !!! I couldn't throw that off when I get a Hot Flash during the night !!!LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. That bed rug is beyond awesome. Do you really think it dates to 1819? It must weigh a ton.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That bed rug is incredible...but, like GT, I too wonder if it really is old? Everything is so pristine...and given its size, I'm kind of shocked that the colors are so very consistent. Having that much wool of the same color would be a bit unusual? ~Robin~ (PS...all those horse rugs makes me think you are leaning to the equine side again. 😉)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! The chain link on that first one is impressive. And there are 2 more bunnies in that rug 🐰. That is a show stopper!!!
    Lady Locust

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and I always welcome comments.