Friday, September 8, 2023

RUG SHOW

Thought I should post a couple old rug photos as there's nothing else of interest to post until camp.  

Horses with hard to see birds dated somewhere in the 1800-1900 time frame.  Dimensions are 40 x48, was donated by Henry Francis duPont to Winterthur Museum.
Guess this tulips and diamonds rug could also classify as a geometric design.  It measures 24.5 x 40.5.
A landscape dated 1892.  Notice the hunter in foreground on the right. I also see a couple butterflies, something which looks like a boot between the hunter and the deer.  It measures 35.5 x 71.
A Native American in canoe measures 22 x 37 and hooked late 19th century.  I want to hook a Native American rug but haven't decided which one yet.  In my stash of hooked rug photos there are a few on the list plus I've an image of an antique Lauren showed on her blog one time.
Recently I watched a TV series called Dark Winds which stars all Native Americans, depicts their culture, sometimes speaking in native tongue.  They are from the mysteries of Tony Hillerman' books.  Back in the day I used to read his books because I love Native American culture and detective theme.  Guess my love of horses and that culture go together. 

Also used to get a publication called Arizona Highways which always had photos of those beautiful Native Americans against the landscape and with their Turquoise jewelry, weaving or other notable native craft.  

Actually, beginning tomorrow there is a Nanticoke Indian celebration in Delaware. 

Yeah, it's a short blog post as I've much more to do to get ready for camp.  Yesterday I picked up wine from the local shop; my favorite is a red, preferably Cabernet Sauvignon.  But when attending rug camps also take a Chardonnay since I tend to share it with everyone.  That would be the "cardboardeaux" as Lauren calls it.  Had to laugh as I've never heard that expression for wine in the box.

I've printed out the weather forecast for Cape May and selected my clothing with a couple extra outfit changes for cooler weather, like a hooded sweatshirt & Pants, jeggings, etc.  Lets just hope that hurricane LEE veers off like they think/hope it might.  Otherwise might make my trip home next Friday scary.

Happy hooking and until we chat again... TA TA.

Saundra


 



6 comments:

  1. That 1892 rug is very busy. I saw the boot but took me a while to see the hunter.
    I am a real class act with my cardboardeaux.
    Safe travels!!! Enjoy. Tell Caroline I said hello ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cardboardeaux....love it. (The moniker and the liquid LOL) ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not a wine fan. The tulip geometric one is interesting. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's a lot going on in the 1892 rug but the rug is well balanced in the design and in the the colors. It looks like it was well used as I see some bare spots. It looks like the tree has 4 seasons.

    I call wine in boxes, Cardboard wines and I don't turn my nose at them. I like the name Lauren call them.

    My favorite red wine is a Valpolicia and my favorite white wine is a full bodied Gewurztraminer but I never saw any of them in cardboard boxes, unfortunately. I 'm not a wine connoisseur. I like a fruity wine but I don't like a sweet wine. I don't care for ice wine. I like a cold beer in hot weather and prefer a wine in cold weather. lol...
    Wishing you good weather for your travel. Be safe on the road and enjoy your long awaited Cape May gathering.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the tulips,,,and the scenes are works of art,,,
    Watching dark winds too,,

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so happy you were able to go to Cape May . We were up in Maine , but came home before Lee hit .....the waves were amazing in some areas before the storm . Not as much damage as they were expecting , but someone did die when a tree fell on his car ! Just horrible !

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and I always welcome comments.