Sunday, April 28, 2019

Various Topics & New Project

After breakfast and with a decent day ahead (no rain!) it was grass cutting time.  With the push mower I cut Ben's back yard.  Yes, I still call it that since my ex put up the fence for sweet boy Ben.  Unlike the other dogs who lived here, Ben liked to wander and look for cars to chase.  

By the time the back yard was cut it was time for lunch.  I made this very delicious salad ~ has a scoop of tuna salad, romaine lettuce, radicchio, strawberries, gourmet medley tomatoes and sliced avocado.  Didn't have any raspberry vinaigrette dressing so used balsamic vinaigrette.  It was as delicious as it looks.
After lunch I started the riding mower and cut the remainder of the lawn AFTER walking around a couple acres picking up pine cones and limbs from yesterday's wind frenzy.  Finally just after 2 p.m. the yard was done, I got cleaned up and could sit to pull a few loops.

You seasoned rug hookers already know this information, so am trying to help the newbies.  Yet it is always fun to read a blog about rug hooking no matter how long one has been hooking.... I get it.

I'm a primitive hooker and one of the basics is to "outline and fill".  That process can be done two ways.  The purpose of that is to keep the motif within the drawn lines.  If you color (hook) outside the lines of the motif it gets bigger and will ruin the intended shape.

Here is the new pattern on my frame.  It is a design by Kelley Belfast called Cat Nap.  I drew mine smaller than the recent order; mine measures 13 x 20.
I outlined the cat inside the drawn lines and will fill.  Later I will put a row of background around the cat to contain those loops.

But there is yet another way of outlining a motif and that is to hook the background around the motif first.  That is exactly what hooker friend Pam Gunn did when she hooked Antique Floral Theorem.  She wanted to be sure there was a good edge to hook the urns against.  Also she would hide her ends rather than having them butt up against the background outline.  

That might be a lesson for another day on how to hide the ends as there are also a couple ways to do that.
In case you are thinking the vases aren't equal in size or shape....you would be right.  The original antique wasn't either.  So when Pam ordered the pattern from me I brought this to her attention as well as the scallops at the top of the urn being wonky.  Pam said to draw it like the antique with all its quirkiness as that is what makes an antique adaptation.

Pam, thanks for your permission to use your rug as an example, and thank you Kelley for allowing me to draw patterns on your behalf.

Oh but my back is killing me ~ with the combination of age, arthritis, degenerative disc disease and scoliosis I'm feeling a little rough.  Think this glass of Cab will help that a little.  Since I don't take pain meds the wine IS my medication 😄.  Now back to pulling a few loops and sipping.

Enjoy your Sunday.  Can't believe it is May 1st in just a couple days.  

Saundra

7 comments:

  1. Enjoy pulling your loops and your much needed rest. Good info to share.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. A little vino and pullin' loops - the good life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you from a seasoned hooker who always benefits from reading the helpful newbie tidbits of your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your salad does look delish!! I do love the pattern you drew for Pam and her rendition of it. I agree, the lack of symmetry in the urns makes it even more charming.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good tips to know ….I don't always do that & when I have done letters, they come out wonky . I adore the Antique Floral Theorem pattern & would love to do that some day !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha ha....I knew the next time I heard from you you’d have a new rug on your frame.... I always love Kelley’s kitties, but have never hooked one....Hmmmm, I might have to change that. Pam’s floral theorem is beautifullll... And, girl, I guess we have more in common than hooking...Unfortunately, I share your ailments...and top it off with an autoimmune disease, and some days just stink. Today is one of those days.... Enjoy your Cab....I’m mostly a Chardonnay girl myself. ;-). ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do love Pam's rug!
    Your new rug is so small you are probably almost done 🤣
    I sometimes have trouble coloring in the lines...lol. I always outline and fill in. Never the other way.
    Hope the Cab helped. I am a Zin girl 🍷🍷🍷

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and I always welcome comments.