Sunday, April 7, 2019

Multi-Tasking Sunday

Some wool is in soak for dyeing today.  Was a little envious of Jo and Lauren's recent dye results so thought it was time for me to do a little dyeing myself.  Last time I hooked a sky realized the shade needed wasn't in my stash and as it happens there is some dye mixed sitting in a jar just waiting to be used.  

Meanwhile as I'm consuming coffee this morning will post a few old rug photos.  From a private collection in Pennsylvania comes the 3 dogs with saw tooth border. It measures 24 x 45.
Now a tribute to friends of felines ~ a black and white cat which the auction house said was hooked around 1880.  Looks in pretty darn good shape to be that old.  Size is 30 x 40. 
 My previous blog post showed 3 hookers' versions of this antique rug.  This Red Lion was said to be hooked late 19th or early 20th century.  Bet you'll scroll down to compare to what we hooked, aren't ya?  😀
This is a piece of burlap from E.S. Frost of a Turkish design.
Below, a Horse with primitive scrolls, stars and hit & miss border was hooked 1910.
Pre-1900 this floral measured 11 x 18.  Don't know what the hooker used but it looks quite fluffy and bet it felt good underfoot.
The description on the listing for this rug was it was a Panther hooked rug from the 19th century measuring 20 x 60.  
There ya  have a few old rugs to enjoy.  My other task for today is mow the tall onion stems and other weeds in my front and side yard.  There isn't really any grass, just weeds but they look horrible and drives me batty when looking out the window.

So with dyeing wool, mowing the yard and pulling some loops later, it will help keep my mind occupied.  I was to leave for rug camp today but am still having intestinal issues spoken of early in February.  Won't bore you with any details, only to say, "yes I've had tests and have a follow up and another test coming up".  But keeping busy today will help keep me from missing camp so much.  My gal pal Deb is able to make it and will share her fun with me via emails and photos I'm sure.

Happy hooking and dyeing.

Saundra

11 comments:

  1. Lovely old rugs. SO sorry you are missing rug camp..always sad (and annoying) when health issues make us miss things. Hope you are on the mend soon. Doreen

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry you are missing camp...will be glad when you get to the bottom of the health issues and are on the mend...I'm doing a bit of this and that today too...should be in the yard but indoors with the cats is more fun...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry you are missing rug camp too ….have fun hooking & dying wool !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my stars...that last rug!!!! Dunno about a panther, but a looooong cat, dog, cow, sheep....and loving every little pane in those windows too! ~ I hope your belly-troubles leave you quickly, with no residual any-things! ♥️🤗

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry you aren't at rug camp. Hopefully they can get to the bottom (pun intended) of this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What gorgeous mats, saundra!!
    Sooo sorry u r not able to go to rug camp!!
    I know how much u enjoy it! Darn it anyway,,,,
    Hope things go ok on ur next test!
    Glad ur busy!
    That dog and cat mat is amazing,,,
    They all are,,,,
    Take care,,,,

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry you can't attend rug camp. I hope you are on the mend soon. Lots of wonderful rugs. we are have a snow storm today so no yard work at all for us.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope you get some relief and health answers soon. Sorry you have to miss a fun time with your friends.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Health problems are such a worry. It stops your life when you have so much you want to do.
    I pray they find out what’s going on quickly.Saundra the rugs you show are so intricate I love the eye candy! Hugs cheri

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love that last rug to pieces, but I wonder why they think it’s a panther LOL. Glad you posted the original lion...I forgot to ask about it when you posted the 3 other versions. Hope you get some answers to, and relief from, your issues soon. ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG!!! That dog rug is wonderful!!! I would love to hook it. Hope your belly feels better and that you find a simple fix for your issues.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and I always welcome comments.