Friday, April 15, 2022

Mother with Fishbowl and a Chuckle

This first photo shows what had been accomplished at camp.  The popular hair style back then was pin curls and that is how mother was wearing her hair.
After returning home there was very little more hooked but did manage to finish the collar around her neck, finished the hair tho I did wonder if the back of the head needed to be rounded at the corner; tweaked the eye a little and finished hooking the hand.
The plan was to hook mother's jacket with what had been determined to be value #7 with shadows and outline with #8 value.  Hooked and reverse hooked part of the jacket and getting frustrated.  Then decided to hook background  (curtain) with what Cindy and and I liked for the colors.  However what I did hook near the face looks mighty close in value with the hair color and will be too with the jacket, or at least in person.

And even if the background color does work out after all, what the heck about the fishbowl???  Wouldn't the transparency of the bowl of water need a similar color but lighter in value?  Mentally questioning the future plan for the pattern my frustration level rose.  So I have put all the wool, wool strips, pictures, notes and pattern in this bag awaiting a future camp to to finish.  Cindy won't be back at that camp next year and I'm not driving to PA so it is officially a UFO.
Okay, now to the fun part and reflecting back to my schooldays.  Am sure you also had to give oral book reports or publicly speak in front of your class.   For me it was a nightmare and hated doing that.  You studious folks probably had no problem at all.  Nor did I volunteer answering teachers' questions as I was too insecure.  So instead of looking stupid I voluntarily became the class clown and look like an ass😩

Fast forward to current day ~ On Thursday of rug camp I asked the gals in class if they had seen a 'gratitude card' for Cindy making rounds as I hadn't.  Hoping it had been started, once again wanting to follow not lead.  But we started out with only 5 students and one was departing that day early leaving only 4 of us to thank Cindy monetarily.  

At lunch time I got a card, put money in it and sent it to my tablemates to be passed around to the few of us left.  Such a shame her class number dropped to only 5 just days before camp and that reduces her income from participation, sales, as well as tip.  

I stepped away from hooking and visited Loris and Pam at the camp store.  Grimacing as I tell them I've got to give Cindy her card and say..."but I'm NOT going to propose this time".  They both laughed and said "oh yes you do".

By now you are probably confused as all get out so let me explain.  During a November class with Kris Miller Loris started the card and that #%&! woman slipped the card in front of me as she walked back to her hooking area.  That was Loris' way of recruiting me to present Kris with the card.  I grabbed it and walked it right back to Loris.  But she insisted I present it to Kris since I've had her as a teacher so many times.

What did I do?  You guessed it, easier to make an ass out of myself than speak seriously in public so I got down on one knee after saying something....don't even know what I said, and then asked, "will you marry me?"  I felt so stupid afterwards but had automatically reverted to the insecure kid mode.

Both Loris and Pam insisted I do that again because... they'd been teasing her all week and this would be the cherry on top ~ so they said.  Well I caved and you can see Cindy's reaction.  None of the girls in class knew what I was going to do and was to alert Pam when I was ready so she could have her camera ready.  I know my face was beet red but the girls in class enjoyed it as did Cindy.  
Can't imagine what Cindy's husband had to say when she went home and said..."honey, I had a woman propose to me today."

Sorry if the post was laborious and long to read, but if you managed to get thru to the end hope you had a good laugh.

Happy hooking, Happy Easter and Happy Passover to my Jewish friends.

Saundra



10 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness Saundra , you have a great sense of humor !!! A really fun memory !!!

    Your Mother's rug looks wonderful , I think I would want to put it away too & ask for Help !!! Hope your next rug camp isn't a year away though !!!

    Have a Happy Easter too !!! We all need a good laugh !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Mother portrait rug is looking fantastic so far. Now you kind of know my problem with the way my rug is going. My problem is the shading is so undefined that I get lost in it.
    Working with many shades can be tricky but I'm sure you'll find someone who can help you.

    I guess the girl knew that you were the one to get a good laugh for the rest. Girls want to have fun... A memorable gift it was...

    Have a blessed Easter weekend.
    Hugs Julia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Newburyarts...
    Putting it away doesn't solve the problems. That only makes you rely on someone else's thoughts or creativity to finish. Instead...take the piece and hang it someplace with tape or thumb tacks so that you see it daily. Just view it and ask YOURSELF how to fix your mental hump. It may take a while but eventually your creativity will be unblocked with an answer. That, afterall, is the essence of any hand craft. Try it...you will only grow in the art form and your abilities.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was a cute story. I really like that rug you are making and I think it really is nice. It will be such a work of art when you get finished.
    That shading is always the hardest for me too.
    I hope you have a wonderful Easter too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful tribute mat to your mom. I can't even begin to imagine hooking something so complex and with such tiny worms.
    Your story cracked me up. Too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh no!! Do NOT tuck that wonderful piece away!!! What you've done so far is wonderfully done...and not that I have a clue about hooking realistically but it would seem that the face and hand would be the most challenging. That's so not like you to throw in the hook. Funny story about the card proposal...and pretty brave of you to get on one knee...not sure I'd manage to get back up LOL. For what it's worth, I despised speaking in front of groups... This probably surprises you given my profession(s), but it is one thing that I had to consciously work at and overcome. Wishing you a blessed and joyous Easter my friend. ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Too funny you proposing to Cindy! Your tribute rug to your mom is going to be absolutely amazing! I would never be able to hook a rug like this. Happy Easter! Janice

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your hooking of mum is looking amazing,,Saundra!!!
    Love the fun stories of camp,,,!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That piece is amazing do not hide it away! keep it out where you can see it and work on it as you feel you can!
    Camp sounds like fun even with 5 people
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a hoot! People tend to take themselves too seriously. I can only imagine you are a blast to be around and to have in class.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and I always welcome comments.