Sunday, April 24, 2022

POND DEMOLITION

Remember last October when I slowly but consistently removed all the rocks from my pond?  If you need a refresher you can read about it HERE.  Happily I learned a neighbor wanted rocks for a walkway so he purchased my two pallets for $350, which I was told was a bargain for him and gave me some pocket money too ~ a win-win.

The two men went to look at the pond area and they said they had a use for the wood and would come this spring and remove the pond.  This is what the pond looked like yesterday morning just before they brought the backhoe.  That black thing on the deck is the water filtering reservoir.
Unfortunately they couldn't remove the fencing on the side they wanted to enter from but on the rear corner one split-log was out of the post so made that the easiest side for them.  Sadly many of those daylilies you see in the back were crushed as the backhoe entered and left several times to take the wood to its destinations.  But guess that is a small price to pay for this year's ornamental flora.  Hope the damaged ones return next year.
See all those sandbags?  Actually that isn't all of them, but they were the walls under the heavy liner you see behind Lamar and Chris.  
The guys opened up all the sandbags and dumped the sand in the area where the hole was.
Before leaving for the day Chad (on the backhoe) leveled it best he could with the backhoe.  Today I'll go out and cut those roots and rake the area.  This is what it looked like by about 1 p.m., just 4 hours later.
At dusk thought I'd go outside and take a photo of my damaged daylilies.  When looking at the photo almost deleted it since it is a dark photo.  But then I saw something which stood out above all.....ORBS.  So decided to post it.  If you click on the photo it should enlarge more.
Today between 11 and noon two of the guys are coming back to put up the fence and replace my clothesline.  Yes, am embarrassed to admit in the electronic age we live in, but I do use it.  Hopefully it won't collapse when I hang  my sheets on it next  time.

Next post I'll show my progress on the Primitive Monochromatic Floral.  And for those of you who may be wondering, I haven't yet put Mother with Fishbowl on my frame yet.  Happy hooking, knitting (Elaine), stitching (Robin) or happy yard work, which ever it is you're up to today.  I'll be in and out working in the yard raking the backhoe ruts, shoveling dirt in low places, etc.

Saundra




10 comments:

  1. Oh my , your pond was huge !!! That was great the men cleaned things up & smoothed out all the sand for you ! Great that they could use the rocks & wood ! Look at all those Orbs !!!! They are keeping an eye out for you !
    Was a good weekend for me to be outside ....I over did it , thank goodness for Aleeve or Tylenol !
    Hopefully tomorrow I can finish my Easter Punch Needle gifts ...LOL for next year !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa....so you traded a huge pond for a huge sandbox??? 🤔 Hope you don't have a lot of cats in your neighborhood. 😂 Ok...seriously, it looks nice...really opens up the yard. Those guys put in a lot of work for that wood. I'm sure the day lilies will be fine...next year. If not, just think about the work it will save you from thinning them out. Those are such perfectly round orbs....Makes ya wonder, no?? No stitching...no hooking either...only a few loops pulled yesterday, but then ripped out more than I hooked. I haven't been feeling well so nothing...and I mean nothing....is getting done. ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow,,,alot of work at UR place this weekend!!!
    Good to be done though,,,,
    Day lilies are so hardy,,,,
    They will return,,,,I see the orbs,,,!!!
    Yes,,,It's warm here today and I am finally on the deck knitting,,,,Feels good,,,,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh oh orbs. Hopefully nothing was disturbed that caused them to appear. I do believe in ghosts. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wowza! What a difference a day makes as the saying goes. I use a clothes line too.
    Yay orbs 😊
    (I'm trying to catch up on posts)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tearing something down is harder than building it. And yard work is hard work and you're finally getting it done. Will you be making a lawn where the pond was? I hope your daylilies will survive. They are pretty tough.
    Hugs,
    Julia

    I wonder what those orbs are. I never have orbs in my photos. Do they only appear at night?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow big job! But I am sure you are glad to have it done. Day lilies are like cast iron you have a very hard time killing them. I love sheets hung out in the fresh air. Can't wait to see your rug
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a good job done, especially since others did the heavy lifting this time round. Bummer on the daylilies, but as long as the growing points didn't get ground up, they should be fine, I'd think. Especially if the orbs are encouraging them to not give up. They might sulk for a couple of years though. The daylilies, not the orbs that is.
    Don't be embarrassed about the clothes line - I've been trying to figure out a way to put one on or near the deck for a while now. The umbrella poles I've found so far have been rather cheaply made, not cheap to buy though. I may set a couple of folding racks out there until I figure it out. I will admit it's so much easier to simply toss from washer to dryer and push a button though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is going to be so nice to have the room. You have a lovely yard. I would love to put in a clothes line. I have always had one and having to use a rope from pole to pole when my dryer was broke, was a pain.
    Nothing better than sheets on the line.
    I can't wait to see your rug.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You and your orbs...lol!
    I am sure it is a relief to finally have the pond gone. I'm sure the daylilies will be just fine. When I had my house resided, my perennial beds were totally trampled, but the next year everything came back just fine.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and I always welcome comments.