Friday, April 22, 2022

An Interesting Inquiry (edited)

Just as I was about to embark on my Primitive Monochromatic Floral I received an interesting inquiry on an antique rug I'd posted in 2019.  You can see the whole post HERE.  The inquiry was about about a rug entitled "The Last Dog Train to Leave Lower Fort Garry 1909".
An Alaskan author (Helen Hegener) is researching the Canadian fur trade for a book on the history of sled dogs.  In her research she happened upon my blog which included this antique rug.  Helen asked permission to use the photo in her book.

Since I didn't take the photo nor did I hook the rug couldn't give her permission.  As I find antique rugs thru on-line auction sites, ebay, etc, I was unable to help her.  If anyone knows the source of this rug or any information you could email me or contact her thru this link below:

I'm still pulling loops on the primitive monochromatic rug and enjoying seeing the contrast between the lovely background color and the black,  white and grey.  Happy  hooking.

(the EDIT).... fast forward a few hours after doing this post and I received this email from Helen:  

Hello again Saundra, 

I smiled at reading your post this morning, and it inspired this one, written over my first cup of coffee:  https://alaskanhistory.substack.com/p/the-last-dog-train-to-leave

This post goes to all of my email subscribers, and will be posted in the Mushing History group on Facebook, and probably shared a few other places. 

This is fun! Thanks for keeping the ball rolling!

Kind regards,

Helen

So what starts out as an interesting inquiry can and does develop into and unexpected but welcomed friendship.  Thanks for reaching out Helen.

Saundra







8 comments:

  1. How cool! I really love that rug! I love all books about dog sledding. That is a beautiful rug. I bet you are enjoying hooking that rug.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun ! You just never know how things evolve & it is a small world ...
    Happy to hear you are enjoying your hooking project !!!! Can't wait to see your progress !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting indeed. I'm not recalling your original posting of it (and psst... your "here" link to the 2019 post isn't working).... I hope she finds what she is looking for...but it seems like she will be searching for a needle in a haystack since it is likely the hooker her/himself has long passed... But perhaps the new owner is a dog sled aficionado and so will see the author's substack article referencing back to your post. ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cool. The link did work for me ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is turning out quite interesting. The link worked for me.

    Hugs,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  6. So fun!!!interesting!!!
    Funny how things happen like that!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and I always welcome comments.