Tuesday, August 9, 2022

RUGS of OLD

As I did some reverse hooking on Deer and Blue House won't give you an update on that today, besides a picture was snuck in on my previous post.  Instead will post a few antique rugs.  One which is simple in design but very nice in my humble opinion is Circles and Stripes.  It measures 30 x 52, dated 1920 and sold for $6,500.
Named Homestead with Apple Tree by the auction house and said to be hooked 19th century.  Along the border are lambs tongue motifs with flowers interspersed.  It measures 38 x 51.
A wonderful Geometric.  Notice that even tho there are different colors used throughout there is a rhythm or consistency with the little squares of red in every other row which brings the rug together and makes the eye move throughout the whole rug.  It measures 24 x 36 but no date was provided.
This next rug makes my eyes crossed and hurts my head, one would think it was hooked by a person on hallucinogens.  But it is really 4 way Pots of Flowers. 
Dated 1891 Stag and Swan measures 27 x 38.5.  Am guessing the feathered critters are peacocks.
A Fish mat from the Peter Brames collection collection measures 18 x 19.  It was hooked 
late 19th century and sold for $1,700.  I'd say that was a hefty sum for that size primitive design.
It's a little blurry but still cute as the dickens...Colorful border and cat with green eyes.  No date and no dimensions.
Okay, back to pulling some loops on the deer.  Mary is still in hiding and hasn't seen the light of day since being put away.  

Keep on hooking to stay calm, am sure better days will be ahead.

Bk, you inquired about Cottage and Apple Tree wondering who offered it.  I draw the pattern and you can click on the link below my name at the end of this post to check out the patterns, size and cost.  If you wanted a different size I can do that for you as well.

Saundra







9 comments:

  1. Those four pots of flowers makes my head hurt, too. I would not have seen them had you not mentioned it.
    $1700 on that fish??? OUCH!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes those 4 pots of flowers , hurts my eyes too !!! Maybe she needed glasses !
    Pretty rug show....How the heck did that little Fish sell for so much ???? I have hooked things that person can buy for a lot less !!! LOL !!!
    Still Too Hot & Humid here !!! I can't stand this much longer ....UGH

    ReplyDelete
  3. The four ways flower pot wouldn't have won first place with me even if I was on hallucinating drugs, lol... I wouldn't have known what it was if you hadn't mentioned it either. Perhaps someone thought that it was pretty modern at the time. I don't know what to think about it... Yes, it definitely hurts to look at it.

    I wonder what the story is about that small fish one to fetch such a high price. Maybe it's the name of the author?
    I like the Circles and Lines one, and the simplicity about it is charming.

    Thanks for the rug show again. My mary has been put in my bedroom and she faces me everyday and I haven't had time to work on her all summer.
    She'll be there when I'm ready.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't judge me, but that first rug hurts my head too (apologies to you and Julia). Eek. That kitty is so sweet. Speaking of kitties, mine are in hiding too. Almost every project I have been working on has been put away...far far away. That large cross stitch sampler is actually on a pyre awaiting my lighter. ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
  5. No need to apologize, Robin, taste is a very personal thing. We are a unique bunch that agrees on somethings and don't on others. That is perfectly acceptable to me.
    Hugs,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Always enjoy looking ay antique rugs! Janice

    ReplyDelete
  7. The fish is my favourite— simple design, superb old colours fading, etc etc. I would pay $100 for it 😊

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very interesting rugs. I love that you have pictures of them. I am glad they are not lost to time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Homestead with Apple Tree is so appealing to me. Different than the norm. Thanks for sharing these beauties.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and I always welcome comments.