Sunday, July 16, 2023

GEOMETRIC GARDEN UPDATE

It rained all night last night, all day and finally stopped 5 pm today.  Hopefully it stopped!  The lake is back and haven't listened to the weather to find out the total rainfall but it is several inches.  When I do hear the levels I'll edit this post.  No chance this water will be absorbed anytime soon.  Meanwhile it gave me time to hook without guilt and I cut the grass on Friday so I'm good there too.

Here's today's update; I drew this 16.5 x 29.5.
Some of you have asked to see the original antique so here is a photo of that too.  Auction house said it was hooked 19th century and measured 27 x 47.5.  Sure didn't want mine that big as the drawing was daunting enough.
Have you ever awakened at 3 a.m. scratching and you feel a tick on your leg or worse yet, the middle of the back and you've no one to pluck it off??  The leg happened last night and in a fog I put on my glasses and tried to remove the dot of a deer tick with tweezers.  After several tries I finally just dug into my flesh to get the damn thing out.

The back was a few days ago and at least this wasn't just a dot of a deer tick, it was normal size.  But again the middle of the night standing with my back to the wall mirror and holding a mirror trying to grab the sucker and pluck it off.  Eventually went for my flesh and successfully got the tick and some of me surgically removed.

Yes, I spray my shoes and legs when walking or working in the yard and wash my hands when returning inside.  Have no idea why they aren't noticed until they burrow into my flesh and cause itching.

Here is a view of the lake and it extends well into the woods and to my left into the woods.  The ground is like a sponge when I walked to the fence to take photos.
I tried taking a video but my battery died so didn't much but hopefully you can hear the cacophony of happy frogs.  
Back to the geo and happily hooking.

Saundra


10 comments:

  1. I had a tick on my forehead once. Not fun so I know what you mean. Your geometric garden colors are almost exact to the original. I would NEVER be able to do that in such a big size either. Yours is more manageable. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are some noisy frogs!!!
    Can you believe I have never seen a tick? I can't imagine waking in the middle of the night and trying to remove one.
    Your rugs keep getting better and better. I really do love this one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely love the sound of frogs in summer. Such a memorable one! Thank you for posting the original mat photo. The colours are so vibrant for such an old one, and the style so “modern primitive.” Again, I’d be the pits at dating rugs. Don’t I hate ticks. Ick!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the frogs we had so much rain there is just no where for the water to go!
    I love your rug you are doing a fantastic job!
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. And now the latest tick news is that they can "fly". Not with wings, but using static electricity, they can float across short distances. Oh. Freaking. Yay. Do we now hose ourselves down with anti-static spray as well as tick repellant?
    The rug is looking good, and those are some very happy frogs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This rug is going to be a true beauty Saundra - you absolutely NAILED the colors. Wow. Ewww on the ticks. Like I said, I picked one up when I was at the lake but felt it immediately so no chance to burrow. But yes, unfortunately, I am well aware of that middle of the night panic. Yikes, you have some funny sounding frogs LOL. They almost sound like bullfrogs. Mine are a bit more melodic I think....then again, I don't have a lake out back...at least not here in Nod. 🤔 Happy hooking! ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well they are enjoying the lake. I think that rug is amazing and I just can't believe how close your rug is to the original. That is amazing. You have such a good eye for color. I love hearing frogs. Being at our son's house we got to watch the lighting bugs. Do you have them? He has a swampy place out in his woods and they would light up the trees like little fairy lights. I loved the sound of the frogs and the lights in the woods. Oh ticks! Yuck!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG ...can not stand Ticks !!! They are just disgusting ! You were lucky to remove it !
    Love your rug and all the colors you are using look just like the antique one ! Beautiful !!!
    When I walk on the bike path , there are some swampy sections & I love hearing those frogs , they can be so loud !!!
    Yesterday it poured here all day long , everything is so soggy , today was Sunny all day , so helped to dry things up . People who have gardens are complaining like crazy , fungus & mold is rotting everything ....I feel so bad for the farmers .

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your frogs are awfully noisy and they would drive me crazy. I love the sound of tadpoles in the spring however.

    I'd be worried about the Lyme disease. Those darn ticks bite would worry me. I sure hope that you'll be OK. Your rug is looking so good. You're doing such a great job.
    We are pretty soggy here as it rain a lot during the night.
    Take care and watch for those icky suckers.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gosh,, saundra! Ticks, ,! We have them here,, too,,,
    On the cats,, soak the tic with rubbing alcohol and get tweezers to take it out,,, the tics let go!!
    Our vet showed usthat ,,, better thsn tsking ur skin,,,
    Love ur mat! So much fun,,,
    Elaine

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and I always welcome comments.