Saturday, July 1, 2023

FOR INSPIRATION and CONTIMPLATION

I've shown this antique dog rug in a previous post.  The original antique measured 31.5 x 40 and is delightful just as it appears here.
But look how Karen Anne hooked it channeling Magdalena with the pops of red.  Isn't her rendition fantastic?  So how would you hook it?  As for me, after seeing Karen Anne's version I can't imagine the rug being hooked any other way.  
Recently found the folk art bird on tree stump rug and wonder if you hooked it would you hook the date and the initials?   Would you put your own initials or remove either or both?  An inquiring mind wants to know how you would hook it.
If you recall, Barb Carroll kept the initials in this rug design below and used those initials to name the design "Cora and Bentley".
And one more for good measure with no questions.  Recently found this one also and thought it was cute as the dickens yet I have no intentions to hook it.  Shame it is in such disrepair.
Goodness, July already.  Have a fun filled and safe weekend.  Happy Canada Day to my Canadian friends.

Saundra



9 comments:

  1. Since I'm not a connoisseur of antique rugs, no matter how many you show us, but I know that you know what turns your crank, so I guess you like the adaptation of the original better. I kind of like the original better as it's less busy. Just my preference, good or bad. I really like the cute bird one and I think it the cuteness of that little bird that really makes that rug sing to me and I love the colors but what do I know? It so darn sweet.

    Happy July 4th. I can't believe that I didn't post even once in June. Shame, shame on me.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see what entices you about the adaptation of the first rug, yet, hooking it for myself, I dunno - I'm that more muted muddy kinda soul. As for date/initials on the bird rug - heck no to the MB and I'm pretty sure you might figure out why. 🤣 But, yeah, I'd likely do "revised" initials. Not sure about the date though. ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being the purist that I am, I would leave the initials as is. Am not a fan of purple so no for me on the horses. Would need to change those colors. Red, White and Blue are my colors mixed in which shades of brown. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun mats, ,
    Love the dog outlined in reds!
    Sweet kittys ,,, too,,,
    Elaine😊💓

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the red!!! perfect old color for that rug....If I were to reproduce an antique rug with initials, I would honor the maker and include them so that her {his?} spirit is happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. KA’s adaptation is superb! I agree, the reds make it. Bird on Stump: I’d hook the old date and leave out all initials. Maybe hook a block of lighter colour where the initials were to break up the background. Thank you for the walk through antique mats

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the bird on the stump I would take out the initials and maybe add my own.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like the old faded soft colors on the dog ....but Karen Ann did a really nice job too ...I love the folk art bird and the intials .....I like the Kitty's border ....
    Hope you have found a pattern that makes you excited to hook !!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I actually like the muted, faded colors of the first rug!
    A friend just sent me the picture of the bird on the stump earlier today...before I saw your post. Not sure what I would do with the date/initials.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and I always welcome comments.